Recirculation Causing A Near Doubling Of Efficiency?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you reading the replies to your question......or taking the piss.
If someone gave you an answer to recirculating how will this help you ?
You are so far away from achieving anything measurable no answer is going to help you.
You have not described your brewing method, you have not described how you are recirculating the wort. I have come to the conclusion that you are describing sparging and not recirculating !
To get 40 litres of wort is not an achievement, a quarter of this will be water !
I'm not taking the piss at anyone's advice. I was looking at the wrong thing and people just pointed those things out. The whole point was I was missing something altogether and blaming it on something else.

By the way, how else would you recirculate but with a pump? Gravity etc... I realise my post was confusing but... Appreciate the advice about calibrating btw. Just so I don't leave it to imagination.

if you want to brew more I dont suggest you run your system to its limits! it will take longer to brew if you get a stuck sparge then if you throttled back and let it do its thing.

Do double or tripple batches. I done a double Pale ale (with mash in, sac rest and mash out fly sparging) and a Pils (with mash in sac rest and decoction mash out) from start to pots cleaned up in 4.75hrs. Now there was alot of stuffing around used my HLT, kettle and 20lt kmart pot for water addition and kmart pot for decoction. I used my kettle for the double and the HTL for the single.

I struggled and it was a BIG brew day I mean no real rest between, But I got 63lts of beer 42lts of PA and 21lts of Pils into a cube in under 5 hrs. Cant see any more efficient way to do it, I have done it twice and will do it again in a pinch, its a bit or work but you have to plan your day very careful and it can be done. you have so many pots heating at the same time its easy to lose it. But mash time is not the problem it wont matter if you mash a extra 30 mins.

Work your system out and you will be 1/4 the way there. I had 2 systems both not calibrated and I done alright the Pils was meant to be 1052 and was 1058 with 1lt extra I just guessed that rig as never used it in this situation so put 71% eff instead of my usual 75% lol

yea, I've made that mistake twice, actually wasn't even trying to push it, just f'd up really. Today was supposed to be 'predictable' with a known recipe but it kinda went all over the place, not terrible but enough farting around. As said above by another person, more trying to get it all dialed in, this was to be the calibration beer :S Heh, at least now I know what those extra 3ish L are costing me in stuffing around.
Rather just make it well once, get it out and put the second one in. As it is, get to brew about once a month, twice if I push it, fill 2-3 kegs a month and I'm good.

Its a hobby right :)

Latest posts

Back