RecipeDB - Lucas' Smoked Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a spellcheck, no.

CM2 needs to take his fingers to the gym or to boot camp.

I'll bring you a golden strong on wednesday, Brett.

Well I just brewed this on the maiden run of my new 3v herms. Despite the few dramas I had it still ended up with an SG of 1.045.

Pitched a nice healthy starter of 1098 British Ale, and by the next morning it was going off. Looking forward to trying it out.

Well I just brewed this on the maiden run of my new 3v herms. Despite the few dramas I had it still ended up with an SG of 1.045.

Pitched a nice healthy starter of 1098 British Ale, and by the next morning it was going off. Looking forward to trying it out.

Hey Truman,

I am interested in how yours went. I brewed this about the same time you did.

I tried one prematurely after just a week in the bottle. Flat as a tack. But tasted good enough to drink the whole bottle (grolsch size) flat.

With a few bubbles in it this is going to be very nice.

Bnb

You must resist temptation, BNB. This beer gets amazing at +2 months.

Hey Truman,

I am interested in how yours went. I brewed this about the same time you did.

I tried one prematurely after just a week in the bottle. Flat as a tack. But tasted good enough to drink the whole bottle (grolsch size) flat.

With a few bubbles in it this is going to be very nice.

Bnb

Mine went well and has been in the bottle a week. I too tried one last night and almost flat as a tack, but had some slight carbonation so all is well.
Tasted great though, but couldn't drink it flat so it was sacrificed to the beer gods.

Finally got a decent head on this after 3 1/2 weeks in the bottle. Bloody great tasting beer though. Love the smoked malt flavour.

Hows everyone elses going?

How do I modify this recipe for biab?

Cheers Ben

How do I modify this recipe for biab?

Cheers Ben

Ben you could follow the recipe exactly as is for BIAB just use some brewing software to adjust your volumes. Either cold steep the carafa and chocolate overnight and add to the mash without about 10 mins of the mash left to go or just stir them in as is with 15 mins to go which is what I did.

Other than that there is no real difference doing it as a BIAB.

Drinking this 2 months old in the keg. Damn nice beer. I used a pack of 1056 for 1 cube and 1187 ringwood for the other. The smoke was really good when the beer was young (2 weeks in keg) but now it's just smooth bbq roast all the way. The only problem is the final gravity in both from both yeasts finished at 1016. Im thinking the high amount of caramunich (i used caramunich III) and roast maybe left a lot of dextrins. The beer was mashed at 65 degrees so if it could it would have gone a lot further than 1016. Still a great drop but its a beer I'll have 1 maybe 2 glasses of after dinner but it's just a bit much for a session.

Is anyone able to post the recipe for this seeing as RDB is down. Would love to give it a try

Sure...

Lucas smoked choc porter (Robust Porter) 18 litre batch

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 32.2 (EBC): 63.3
Bitterness (IBU): 33.3 (Rager)

36.64% Maris Otter Malt
22.9% Weyermann Smoked
15.01% Caramunich II
13.74% Munich I
4.07% Carafa II malt
4.07% Chocolate
3.56% Caraaroma

0.7 g/L Magnum (14.4% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L East Kent Golding (6.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1098 - British Ale

Notes: carafa and pale chocolate milled separately and added with 15 mins left of the mash

(Or if you can step mash I did this....)

Step mash= Mash in at 52C rest for 10 mins. Step to 66C for 60 mins, Step to 72C for 20 mins......mash out at 77C for 10 mins.

SG 1.045 pitched 1098 starter Wed 9/05/12 fermented at 18C.

Gonna have a crack at this next weekend

Just bought some Manuka Smoked malt & a Smoked Porter is the 1st beer I wanna make using it

Brewing this tomorrow so I'm inputting the recipe into Beersmith

When I add the hop quantities listed in the recipe above it only came out at 22IBU's, to get to the 33 I had to up the Magnum to 1 gram per litre, so 23 grams & the EKG to around .7 grams per litre

My question is, does this sound right or am I over doing it? 23 grams of Magnum seems like quite a bit to me

breakbeer said:
Brewing this tomorrow so I'm inputting the recipe into Beersmith
When I add the hop quantities listed in the recipe above it only came out at 22IBU's, to get to the 33 I had to up the Magnum to 1 gram per litre, so 23 grams & the EKG to around .7 grams per litre
My question is, does this sound right or am I over doing it? 23 grams of Magnum seems like quite a bit to me
how did you go with one breakbeer?

Seemed to go pretty well except the OG was hugely over target, it's still in a cube at the moment so I may dilute it in the fermenter. Also ended up with 30L instead of the 23 I was aiming for, my new 15L cubes came in very handy that day!

Didn't get much of a smokey smell from the grain but when I mashed in, holy shitballs! Hope I didn't overdo the percentage of smoked grain.

I'll wait until it's in a glass before I brew it again so I know what to change in the recipe, if anything.

Will probably bottle half the batch, I'll save you one

Have now kegged my 2nd cube of this into my 9L keg. Pretty happy with it, just lacks a bit of body & a bit heavy on the smoke

Taste like a cross between liquid bacon & drinking a campfire. Might reduce the amount of smoked malt next time

JB, I got a few bottles out of it too so I'll save ya one

Latest posts

Back