Recipe ideas from leftover ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzarobbo

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to brewing, got a bit confused with what I want to brew and now have the following ingredients which I want to turn into something drinkable but not quite sure what to combine with what.

-1.5 kg of light dme
-1.5 kg of dark dme
- 1.5 kg of wheat lme
- 25g chinook
-15g of hersbrucker
- SAF T 58 yeast

I have the ability to boil and add hops at different times but thats about it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated,
Cheers

No real idea but I would probably use all the wheat and 1kg light malt, 60 min addition of 15g chinook, 10g at 10min and the hersbrucker at 5 min made to 23 litres. Should give you a balanced 5% alcohol and ~25 IBU beer. I would then use the dark malt and the rest of the light malt to make a dark ale with extra hops and grain added.

Same sort of beer as when you chuck the fridge leftovers in a pan and call it dinner, sometimes it's good and sometimes you just eat it anyway. I don't think you would normally mix noble and american hops together for example but you have a bit of a hodge podge of stuff and without adding extra ingredients that's the only thing I can think of that might taste ok.

Ideally I would split it all up over several brews with extra hops and steeping grains. Use the wheat, dme and chinook (as a bittering hop) in a pale ale with added steeped crystal malt and flavour hop/s of your choice (cascade, amarilo etc).

Use the dark dme over a couple of dark ales/porters etc with extra light dme and spec grains (chocolate, victory etc) and suitable hops (fuggles, willamette etc).

saf58 is a belgium yeast, you could either use it in one of the above brews and see how it goes or use it to style.

The hersbruker I would try to make a fake german lager or pilsner from.

Thanks for that, I might go with option 1 and experiment with your idea and then utilize the dark malt at another time.

Cheers for the advice

Back