Recipe Formulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Gday Everyone :p

Well I am trying to formulate a honey vanilla type beer.
This is the recipe I have come up with so far,

Honey Vanilla Pilsner

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.00
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.50
Anticipated EBC: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 32.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 29.68 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.57 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.0 4.50 kg. Pilsener Germany 1.038 3
10.0 0.50 kg. CaraPilsner France 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.25 26.1 90 min.
20.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.25 6.1 30 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1000.00 gm Honey Other 7 Days(boil)
2.00 Unit(s)Vanilla Bean Spice 0 Days(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1007 German Ale

What do you all think

Any ideas to improve

Cheers Archie

id probably cut the honey back to about 750g i generally use 500g in my 22L batches and depending on the honey it can be overpowering in the taste. id add it at flame out as well so not to destroy the delicate flavors and aromas of the honey.

Thanks for the info barls I will cut the honey to 500gms and add at flamout and see how it goes.

Cheers for the info

Hmm I can nearly already taste this one hahah

Archie

What sort of Honey?

I used 500gms of citrus honey in a wheat ale last year and it lent a beautiful floral nose and crisp tang to the beer.And as Barls says add it late.

Agree with barls add it late, and no chill so it has time above 80c for pasteurisation. Flavour and aroma of honey added to the boil gets lost. Have used 500g in the boil for 15 min and could not detect it in the beer, but have used it to carbonate (mix with a little water and heat above 80c for 20 min, cool and add to bottling bucket for bulk priming) with success. The small amount used to replace carbonating sugar produces a nice honey aroma.

How much Vanilla is one unit equal to? And how much of the flavour is retained? Would you put it in at the end of the boil or during secondary?

Well 1 unit is going to be 1 stick of vanilla and i will add it in the secondary for 14 days

Joel
Might wanna look into sanitising the vanilla bean before whacking it into secondary, a quick boil, or sit it in vodka for a few days should do the trick.
All the best
Trent

Joel, unable to help with units of vanilla. To use bean you split the bean top to bottom and lay each half with the skin down and scrape out the pulp/flesh, I would only use the vanilla pulp. Think I remember some brewer saying he adds vanilla after fermentation, to taste. Maybe you would have to boil the vanilla paste in a little water to sanitise. Then add the vanilla water to the beer a little at a time to taste, before adding your priming sugar or kegging.

Latest posts

Back