Ready To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nero82

Reaction score
Hey all,
Sorry, but I've got yet another "Is this ready to bottle" question.

Kit: Coopers Canadian Blonde
sugars: Coopers brew enhancer 1 (Dextrose/maltodextrin)
Yeast: Kit yeast.
OG: 1040

Its been in the carbouy for 7 days at around 25C. The hydrometer had read 1020 for the last 3 days... Are we ready to bottle? I know its still pretty high, but its been pretty warm, and the kit rekoned from 4-6 days to ferment. Any ideas?

thanks!
Nero

I'd wait until one of the more experienced lads chime in but that seems too high to me. Have you checked your hydrometer for accuracy with water? Sounds like it might have stalled to me.

Kit: Coopers Canadian Blonde
sugars: Coopers brew enhancer 1 (Dextrose/maltodextrin)
Yeast: Kit yeast.
OG: 1040

Its been in the carbouy for 7 days at around 25C. The hydrometer had read 1020 for the last 3 days... Are we ready to bottle? I know its still pretty high, but its been pretty warm, and the kit rekoned from 4-6 days to ferment. Any ideas?

Nero

1040 to 1020 is not much of a drop

You had the ferment at a fairly high (future keep it around the 20C mark)

7 days is not a long time i know the instructions say that it should be done in 4-6days but sometimes it just takes longer and up to 14days is not uncommon.

The fact that it has been siting at 1020 for 3 days generally says that it has finished but, yeast activity will slow down and you may get it to drop some more points, try rocking your fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension and let it go a couple of more days. Ha sthe hydrometer reading been exactly 1020 or has it been 1022, 1020, 1018.

Check to see if the krausen (froth has dropped and cleared).

Have a look in the articles section their is some good info in there

Keep brewing
Kleiny

i would give the fermenter a swirl to bring some of the yeast back into suspension then wait a couple of days then take another reading. i personally leave the fermenter alone for 2 weeks before i take a reading. also in future i would try and bring the temp down closer to 20 for better results.

I'd give it a swirl about and let it sit for a few more days.
I had a similar problem with my Sparkling ale staling at 1018, was told to give it a swirl and leave it a few more days and after another 5 days it had reached 1012.

Thanks for the quick response!!
I've checked the hydro, and its spot on 1 in water.

I guess giving the thing a shake is the best way to go. Its just annoying because I do this with my brother, and its really only sundays we get a chance to bottle. (of course the answer here is get another fermenter and run them on alternate weeks!! great excuse to be making more beer!)

Hi Nero, what you want to do is gently swirl the fermenter, not shake it. just swirl it enough to get some of the yeast sitting on the bottom back into suspension, trying not to get any splashes as this can cause problems with oxidisation leaving you with a beer that doesn't taste as fresh as it should. As above try to keep your temps down a little 18-20 is perfect for any ale yeast. this will result in a longer ferment but a much cleaner tasting brew. And yes, get youself to a brew store and buy another fermenter (or 2 :D )

Back