Re-yeasting And Priming A Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb83

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a batch of Belgian tripel that's just about ready to bottle.
The alcohol is up around 9%, so I want to play it safe and re-yeast at bottling to make sure it carbs up alright (I worry the yeast might be knackered by the end of fermentation)
I scooped some kraeusen into a sterile jar the other day and it is sitting sealed in the fridge. I figured I'd build the sample up as I would a starter
and add it with the priming sugar when I bottle.

Can you see any problems with this method, or should it be ok?
I'm using WLP530 (Westmalle) if it makes a difference.

Cheers,
Michael

How long has it been since it was fermented? Unless it's been sitting conditioning for a long time (eg baltic porter at MHB that spend 2 years in an old port barrel) I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi mb83,it doesn't have to be the same yeast.I often use Safale S-04 as a bottle conditioning yeast for Belgians.

Others use lager yeasts.I filter so tend to add back yeast.If bottling.

Others will naturally condition in kegs,a high floc lager yeast is specially good here,as with bottles

Yeah, I had thought about using another yeast, and I have some S-04 but I kind of like the idea of using the primary yeast strain. That way, if something goes wrong with my slants I still have a couple of bottles to re-culture yeast from.

Thanks for the replies,

Michael

A bit late but I'm considering a similar thing as I'm cold conditioning a dubbel. The wyeast website suggested it's a good idea for high gravity and cc'd brews - they recommended 15 - 25 mL of slurry.

I worried about this shit too for a while because I freeze my tripels in 2ndary overnight.
They never get chunks of ice in them or anything, but it helps to clear them out.
You dont need to reseed them with yeast.
Just prime like normal, and be patient.
Remember that tripel deserve extra carbonation, so put them in thick bottles and give them extra sugar.

Have a tripel to bottle tomorrow.
:)

Hi Swinging Beef,

How much sugar per litre do you recommend when priming a triple?

Cheers,

Michael

I copy the carbonation amount from JZ Brewing classic styles, and Im pretty sure the show said 3.5 volumes... but I would strongly recommend you listen to the podcast (surf thru the bullshit) and hear his takes on the style.
Tripel is my favorite style of beer, and one gets brewed here pretty much every month or two, and I found the advice given on this particular show invaluable.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The...l-Show-11-17-08

Just re read your question and realised I gave you the long winded "dad"answer.
http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Alcohol...Calculator.html

Make sure you are using thick glass bottles!

Latest posts

Back