Re-using Trub At Bottom Of Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wortgames said:
In my experience any yeast will continue to ferment, even at low temps and under 'fermented' wort.

I think one of the things that is happening is the yeast is slowly mutating to digest the tougher sugars and dextrins in the wort, and I'm sure it will be autolyzing to a certain extent too albeit slowly.

I have stored slurry for several months in Grolsche bottles (cracking the seal once a week or so to relieve pressure). I would be happy to use yeast stored this way for about 3 months, but after this I would say that it has probably mutated enough to affect flavour and attenuation.

This is just based on observation and guesswork though, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone agrees / disagrees.
[post="60494"][/post]​

Then why do people recover yeast from commercial bottles - not much point if they are mutated?? Just a question, as I'm pretty new to yeast harvesting...

Wortgames said:
...I have stored slurry for several months in Grolsche bottles (cracking the seal once a week or so to relieve pressure). I would be happy to use yeast stored this way for about 3 months, but after this I would say that it has probably mutated enough to affect flavour and attenuation.

I've got 12 month old stubbies of 1056, 1028, and lager yeast strains in the fridge and I use them for all brews. I must confess that if I didn't have a problem with finance, I'd go to slants and plating yeast etc, but the yeast under wort method will have to do for now. I have had no apparent issues autolysis wise but I must confess as the stubbies get older, I need to use more than one to build up a decent sized starter.

I have a Skunk Fart clone in primary now and its still bubbling along, albeit slowly, at 17C at day 9 of primary. I used 18 month old 1056 yeast and a sachet of S-04 tossed in for good measure!

TL

I don't think it's so much a case of having 'problems', I reckon you could successfully use yeast thats been stored under beer for years as long as it is still clean and there are some viable cells. I just wonder how much the yeast profile would evolve in that time, into some kind of Saccharomyces Schwarzeneggensis - presumably only the strongest cells would survive by metabolizing the tougher stuff in the wort, resulting in a different beer.

nonicman said:
Slugger if you intend to store the slurry under wort for more than a week or two, beware that it will continue to ferment even in the fridge. Opening a longneck of 2 month old slurry is an experience I wont be repeating, slurry all over the kitchen including the ceiling, floor, sink, bench, walls and myself, Mrs Nonic was not impressed uncovering stinky slurry in the nooks and crannies of the kitchen for the next week or so.

Edit: I was surprised at the pressure in that bottle, if it wasn't an old Pick Axe Coopers bottle I'm sure I would opened the fridge oneday, knocked it by accident and copped a face full of glass.

Sounds like a gusher infection to me. I've had the same in stored yeast, and after testing the remnants, they were all infected.

jgriffin said:
Sounds like a gusher infection to me. I've had the same in stored yeast, and after testing the remnants, they were all infected.
[post="60534"][/post]​

That would explain a lot.

edit:typo

Thought I'd jump in on this thread, since it's the same subject.

Suppose I washed some yeast trub to use as yeast nutrient.

Wouldn't I just be able to take it from the fridge, and chuck it into the boil pot at about 10-15 mins to go?

dickTed said:
Thought I'd jump in on this thread, since it's the same subject.

Suppose I washed some yeast trub to use as yeast nutrient.

Wouldn't I just be able to take it from the fridge, and chuck it into the boil pot at about 10-15 mins to go?
[post="60547"][/post]​
Probably no reason why not, I have used bakers yeast like that before. The trub is not pure yeast so it depends on how well you wash it and what else it might contain.

Ross said:
sluggerdog said:
Am thinking of doing this for the first time, if you want to store the yeast/slurry can you just bottle the collections and store it in the fridge until you need it?
[post="60299"][/post]​

Slugger,

Yes, just store in bottles in the fridge & warm the day before to brew temp...
[post="60300"][/post]​

Ok I have done this and am ready to use it again, my only question is how long can I keep it in the fridge like this? was planing only for a few days but work came up so it would be about 2 weeks from collection to re-using.

Is this too long?

you need to store it quite cool, 4C, and one week seems to be specified as the maximum time yeast can be stored like this. In practise, up to one month is OK

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM, it has been in the fridge since I collected it. So maybe I will buy some more yeast for backup incase it works but it should be ok as it is only 2 weeks..

sluggerdog said:
Ok I have done this and am ready to use it again, my only question is how long can I keep it in the fridge like this? was planing only for a few days but work came up so it would be about 2 weeks from collection to re-using.

Is this too long?
[

Sluggerdog

Chris White of Whitelabs suggests that 2 weeks "is the magic number". Have a look at this article.

Cheers
Pedro

thanks Pedro!

while we are at it, how long can you store your starter bottles in the fridge? I have had mine in the for about 5 months without a drama, just wondering is there a used by date on these?

Sluggerdog

Are you talking about yeast stored under beer in the fridge? It's not something I do, though people quote the 6 to 12 month mark.

I think this is OK for a ale yeast but for a lager yeast that is still active at low (fridge) temperatures, I would worry that it autolysis may occur - this is speculation, not fact.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro I am talking about starters I made up from a smack pack which I then store in the fridge until ready and then bring out and continue with...

Sluugerdog

In that case, it is storing them under beer.

If you are going to do that, I think a better way is to make the starter a week or 2 in advance of when you need it, pour of the liquid and step the slurry up, then pitch.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
Sluugerdog

In that case, it is storing them under beer.

If you are going to do that, I think a better way is to make the starter a week or 2 in advance of when you need it, pour of the liquid and step the slurry up, then pitch.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="61869"][/post]​

So I don't want that few hundred mls of wort/beer that I have sitting in my drink bottles in the fridge? I only want the yeast/slurry?

So next time, tip out the wort in the bottle, marke some fresh wort and add to a larger bottle with the slurry and wait for some action then pitch?

Thanks Mate..

Sluggerdog

The liquid portion will have very little yeast. What you ideally want is the yeast from the top of the slurry. If you do some in a clear bottle, you can see the layers of the yeast and trub. Pour off most of the liquid, swirl the top layer of yeast (leave the crud at the bottom behind) and pour that into your starter.

Once you see action on the starter, it will take off rapidly and it can be pitched fairly quickly.

Cheer
Pedro

so the crud at the bottle is the stuff that I have in the past, shaken the shit out of the bottle to get it up and loose so I can pour into the bigger bottle with the fresh wort.

I don't need/want the crud that sticks anyway?

Correct - it is only partly yeast which is not healthy anyhow

Back