Re-using The Entire Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spog said:
Yep I do, I split the yeast cake into 4 stubbies and bung them in the fridge fro next time.
I prefer to use clear glass stubbies for this so I can see what's going on when I tip the beer layer out into a glass for tasting.
If the beer tastes fine it's usable, I let it stand while brewing to bring it up to pitching temp from the fridge then in it goes,rinse with cooled boiled water and job done.
I use 2 stubbies per batch the amount can vary but it's usually about 200 ml in each bottle once the beer is taken off.
Even in the fridge these bottles can build up pressure .

wynnum1 said:
I've noticed this too. How are they building up pressure if they were already at FG?

wynnum1 said:
They do and I found out when opening an almost full bottle that gushed ,I should have added that's why I don't fill them up and I open them very slowly to allow the gas to escape.

spog said:
They do and I found out when opening an almost full bottle that gushed ,I should have added that's why I don't fill them up and I open them very slowly to allow the gas to escape.
I had this happen the other day. Assumed it was infected so used another yeast. Where is the gas coming from?

[SIZE=11pt]Yeast farts, some strains are more flatulent than others.[/SIZE]

S.E said:
[SIZE=11pt]Yeast farts, some strains are more flatulent than others.[/SIZE]
fbd.jpg

goatus said:
I had this happen the other day. Assumed it was infected so used another yeast. Where is the gas coming from?
Now that's a good question I think there is still fermentation going on in the bottle.
I haven't bothered to find out but no doubt someone here will know.

Excess particulate matter is possibly contributing too - just like when the last couple of bottles filled from a beer batch can be gushers when they have extra trub/sediment.

Latest posts

Back