Re-using Reused Cooper's Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
I've just harvested the yeast cake from an all-Cascade American Pale that I've brewed using yeast procured from some long-necks of Cooper's PA. Moving the beer from 1ry to 2ry, the beer tastes a bit crisper and cleaner than my usual US-05 Pale Ales at the same stage of the process. Very excited! The yeast from the cake are now safely tucked up in 4 bottles ready to be pitched in some upcoming brews.

My questions is: I usually go 3 generations with US-05 before going back to a fresh pitch - does anybody have any experience of generational pitches of Coopers harvested yeast, and if so, at what generation did they encounter problems / notice unexpected changes to the finished product?

And :icon_offtopic: - does anybody know where I can get some Victoria Hops from?

:icon_cheers:

Hi roo_dr,

I have done this a few times with no detectable issues. When I culture Coopers yeast I tend to do a Pale Ale and then keep the yeast cake in 4 jars. I have even reused yeast from a subsequent brew with no issue. The last time I split the yeast cake into 4 and the last sample had been in the fridge for 8 9 weeks before using in a brew. I have had no issues with this method but have observed that the last time the yeast took a while to start, around 36 hours.

Cheers,
Stagwa

Back