Re (real Easy) Weizen Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Bulldog

Reaction score
Ok guys, got the next beer in fermenting (Kit golden ale) and plan on doing the RE Weizen next. Plan on ordering everything I need off craftbrewer and getting the rest at brewcraft. Now here comes the questions, yeast is this one Wyeast 3068. Never used this type before only ever used the safale packets not this type. How many of these packs will I need to make up that 600ml? I have no idea atm when it comes 2 yeasts.

Next thing on the agenda, is the light DME actually extra light and pale actually light from brew craft?

And finally a basic over view of the process just to double check I've got the sequence down pat.

Thanks guys :)

Next thing on the agenda, is the light DME actually extra light and pale actually light from brew craft?

And finally a basic over view of the process just to double check I've got the sequence down pat.

Thanks guys :)

I think they're the same, just a generalisation.

When you buy the 3068 pack - just follow the instructions on the back. One is fine for a 20-24L batch of weizen.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but the general concensus is that if you ferment 3068 at the low end of the range you'll get clove flavour dominating; at the higher end of the range you'll get more banana esters.

Personally, I think around 20C is perfect for this yeast.

Be warned though - you will need at least one third of the fermenter empty, because the krausen will try to climb out of the fermenter. a 23L batch in a 30L fermenter will be cutting it close.

Don't worry if it smells a little sulphury at the beginning - it'll fade. And when you come to bottling, leave 250ml of beer in the bottom and gently swirl the sediment until the beer and the sediment are mixed. Bottle the "mud" in a sanitised 300ml PET coke bottle (or similar), write the date and the yeast strain on it and you won't have to pay $10 again. Try to use it within a month. Warm it slowly to room temp before you plan to use it - and decant off the beer and taste it - if the beer tastes yeasty, but okay, swirl the yeast cake and bung it in.

Got a 60L fermenter while they were on special so should be perfect for making this batch :)

Cheers for the tips Nick, much appreciated.

You're doing an extract weizen?

If so, make sure that the wheat extract you use is made of a large percentage of wheat - usually they're a blend of wheat and barley malt with barley being anywhere up to 80%.

If not, just ignore that bit.

+1 to what JD said about the yeast, it's one of my favourites and I use it alot, but it does like to climb, the first time is always a suprise.

If you have temperature control, try starting it low say 17c and then as the fermentation proceeds, let the temperature rise so you're getting to 22-23c by the final few points of gravity. That helps to balance the clove and banana and you can tweak the rise to accentuate either. Though sitting it on 20 will give you a good flavour profile.

I find that 3068 gives a more interesting profile after a batch or two, so save some of the yeast cake and try another couple of batches and see how they improve.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back