Re: HEFE lots of malt? Ferment time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I put down brew number 37 a few weeks ago and its the first Wheat Beer I've made (been doing kits, extracts & spec grains). Its been in the fermenter now for 10 days and the airlock is still bubbling every 15 secs or so (ferment temp is about 20-22deg C)
Now given the amount of malt extract in it (5.25kg) I'm not that surprised, but I thought I'd better get a recipe check to see if it's all going "normally".
The recipe is from Homebrewer magazine and is:
Dead Simple HeFe Extract Recipe:
5.25 Wheat LME
20g HallertauerMittelfruh @60
WLP830 yeast - although I had to sub WB06 instead.

The OG was supposed to be 1054 but mine came out at 1089 (although I suspect the difficulty of mixing 5.25kg malt in 20L meant it wasn't mixed that well and I've disregarded this OG.
The recipe says it will FG at 1018 and be ABV 5.5%

So, is the amount of malt correct (seems like a LOT)? And will it take a lot longer to ferment than my normal beers (Golden Ales, IPA's etc - 10days) ?
Roughly how long ?
Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers,
Chuckie.

Hefe's ferment fairly quickly - 7-10 days from grain to brain is how I prefer them...
What makes you think it's not finished? You haven't mentioned anything about taking an FG.
airlock activity may be due to co2 coming out of suspension.

NewtownClown said:
Hefe's ferment fairly quickly - 7-10 days from grain to brain is how I prefer them...
What makes you think it's not finished? You haven't mentioned anything about taking an FG.
airlock activity may be due to co2 coming out of suspension.
Yup, check the gravity.

Also, good call on using the WB-06, at least it's supposed to be a wheat beer yeast. WLP830 is a German lager yeast and would not have made anything like a hefe.

That just made me think of something. If the recipe said to use a lager yeast it probably said to ferment cool at about 10 - 12 C. If you're using WB-06 at those sort of temps it might take a while to finish. What temp are you fermenting at?

I forgot to address the amount of malt question.

5.25 kg LME in 20 L is way to much to hit OG of 1.054. My calcs say that if you used 5.25 kg LME and made up to 20 L you should have OG of 1.081 and FG of ~1.020.

If your SG is at about 1.020 and remains there for a few days then it's probably done.

I've never read Homebrewer magazine but if that's what their recipes are like I don't think I ever will.

lukiferj said:
Sure it wasn't in lbs not kgs?
If it was supposed to be pounds then the recipe is still rubbish. That'd give an OG of 1.037 made up to 20 L, not the 1.054 claimed.

Hi Guys,
Really appreciate your help on this one. So I did some checking as you suggested.
Yes, the recipe says 5.25Kg not lbs. (in fact the AG version of the same recipe says 7kg total grain for the same SG & FG).
I am fermenting at 20-22deg C and airlock activity was VERY active for first week (using WB06). Now at 10days and it's still going strong every 15 secs.
I checked the gravity and it's at 1023.
I did a taste test and it's got a pretty heavy malt body with a pretty significant amount of alcohol (burn). Still pretty sweet so not done yet I don't think. Tastes more like a sweet Bock than a Hefe ! The colour looks more like an amber ale.
Hmmmmmm not happy :(

Do you use brew software? Chucking this into some software would have flagged that some things not right. If it's drinkable then all is not lost and you can chalk it up to experience.

Give it a few days and see if the gravity moves. It's a pretty hefty batch for 1 pack of yeast to get through so it might be chugging along slowly.

Seeing that the ferment temps aren't too bad, I'm betting the alcohol burn (from fusel alcohols) is from a low pitching rate for such a high gravity brew.

It sounds like the author of the recipe was aiming for a weizenbock, but I still can't figure out why the hell they said to use a lager yeast :s

Yes mate that recipe is way out.
Can you give a final brix or finished gravity. My guess is you sitting at or around 8-9.5% Abv.

Nope, haven't used any brewing software to date. I never even figured I'd have to question this cause it came directly from a Homebrewing magazine ! Go figure !
I will definitely be having a look at doing it in the future now thought ! Thanks for the advice.
I'll keep an eye on the gravity over the next few days. Hopefully it'll drop some more. It'd be good if the alcohol burn dissipated a bit though, it's pretty "there" LOL.
Yes, hopefully it'll get to a drinkable state, albeit slowly. I'll have to go look for another Hefe recipe that is nice and easy to do.
Thanks guys :) I'll post up when I get some more results.
Cheers,

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.267
Total Hops (g): 0.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.086 (°P): 20.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.022 (°P): 5.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.45 %
Colour (SRM): 9.3 (EBC): 18.3
Bitterness (IBU): 0.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.267 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (100%)

Hop Bill
----------------

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Windsor

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

just punched that in to look at fermentables.

Not sure if you're kegging or bottling. You could always blend it with a lighter abv beer if the alcohol is too much. Or end up ruining 2 beers :)

I use brewmate and it suits my brewing perfectly.

Chuckie said:
I'll have to go look for another Hefe recipe that is nice and easy to do.
Simple extract recipe for hefe weissbier:

3.5 kg Wheat LME OR 3.0 kg of Wheat DME

40 g hallertauer @ 60 min

Total volume of 23 L

Ferment with Wyeast 3068 @ 17 C OR If you don't want to use liquid yeast use WB-06 @ ~20C

This should give you:

OG: 1.050 - 1.052
FG: ~1.012
IBU: ~13 depending on alpha-acid content (adjust amount if signeificantly different to 4.5%)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help. :)
Well, it seems like there's way too much malt extract !
I was going to keg it but I might bottle it and not tie up one of my kegs. That way I can see how it goes as it ages or just have a high ABV every now and then.
I'll download Brewmate and keep an eye out next time (thanks "Scooby Tha Newbie")
And I'll have a crack at your recipe next time "verysupple"
Ah well, ya live and learn.
Thanks guys.

given the volume of fermentable sugars you have used in this brew, i would want me be very certain that the brew is finished before you bottle, as you could be creating bottle bombs with this one.

Alex.Tas said:
given the volume of fermentable sugars you have used in this brew, i would want me be very certain that the brew is finished before you bottle, as you could be creating bottle bombs with this one.
This

Could make for some very dangerous bottle bombs if using glass.

Latest posts

Back