Re-cultured Little Creatures Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
As the title suggests. Can you reculture the yeast out of little creatures pale ale as you can with the coopers pale ale?

If so, how has it gone and what did you make with it?

Never done it as it's reputably a lager strain. Don't really see the point as it adds nothing special to the beer.

Why not just buy some WLP001?

(Ditto to the lager comment, I've heard that too.)

thought they only used that lager yeast for carbing and not fermenting - apparently thats why LCPA has little bubbles

thought they only used that lager yeast for carbing and not fermenting - apparently thats why LCPA has little bubbles
correct about the carbing... not sure about the little bubbles though

Lager yeast is a gd choice for carbing.... U can keep it cool and it will still carbonate, also its clean and doesnt add anything to the bee

I think its SafLager W34/70 - well thats what LC's Healsville cousin bottle conditions with.

Reason I ask is I've had good success with the coopers yeast. I want to try clone LCPA with an extract version so I was thinking it might help to use the same yeast. I thought if it's been done someone on here has probably done it. Otherwise I'd probably use US05.

Is LCPA's primary yeast 1056?

Yeah most breweries use a different yeast for bottle conditioning,
? :icon_offtopic: Does Coopers, in their Pale & Sparkiling?

1056 would be just fine-

I like a little more malt to shine thru in my LCPA clone as I find the 1056 to be a bit dry.
so...
In my 50L batch I use 7g Mauri 514 & 11.5g Safale S04
Re-hydrated in 500mL @ 28C for 15mins & Pitched at 16C
Fermented at 19C
Works a treat every time- so consistent, I cant justify the extra expense of a liquid.

:icon_cheers:

@Chiro - The coopers bottle yeast is the primary strain, the LC bottle yeast is a lager yeast.

Hey Guys,

Was just reading this one and I can probably clarify our process.

We do ferment with an ale yeast and then filter bright and re-innoculate with a pilsner yeast (the same strain that we use in our Pilsner in fact).

There are a number of microbiological reasons for doing so - lager yeast is slightly more vigourous, will ferment a bit dryer, etc. We do only add JUST enough to do the job and post bottle conditioning we actually chill every batch to ensure tight compaction of the yeast. This is just our philosophy and ther are plenty of other ways to do it.

And yes, our yeast is stored in Copenhagen and we propagate fresh conditioning yeast every week. (ale yeast about once every 4 weeks).

Anyway, there you go.... (and yes, I guess you could culture up the pils yeast from the bottle, but as someone said here, probably purchase some and you are guaranteed that the yeast is healthy).

Cheers,

Alex (aka LC Chief Brewer)

Mayor meant that coopers use the same yeast for fermenting and bottle conditioning
Little creatures use two different yeasts

What have you made with it Mayor? Did you reculture it the same way as the coopers yeast?
As the others said. I was referring to the coopers yeast. Works great in a stout.

I have a vague memory of one of the brewers from LC confirming on here that their bottling strain is different. He said it was some sort of "special" yeast unique to them and that US05 would be a good substitute. Or I could be dreaming and talking out my backside :p

Sorry I got it mixed up. I've got it now. Thanks for the quote Bradley ;)

Anyone got a good extract recipe for a LCPA clone?

Latest posts

Back