Ratebeer's Best Beers Of Oz And Nz / 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't disagree with most of that.

Some great beers in that list.

Wot no Melbourne Bitter? :angry:

Edit: on further reading, though, you'll note that there are only four lagers listed, two from either side of the ditch. By all means brew copycat versions of new wave American Craft beers mightily hopped with Cascade etc. But this is Australia and we have been a lager country for well over a century now. How about a few nice all malt full flavoured full strength lagers to match the finest of Germany or Belgium. We have fine malt, we can grow the hops.

But you know what, I reckon many craft breweries are actually advertising the fact that they don't have the skills and finesse to brew a fine lager - far easier to hide behind a bucket of Simcoe or a shitload of crystal, or attribute their chill hazes to "late hopping" etc. I honestly think the Kiwis are getting miles ahead of us, I sampled some great lagers and IPAs over there that don't grovel to the Yanks. end rant.

I can't help but feel that many of the members here could casually brew a better beer, in one's opinion, than most of the beers on that list. Certainly there are some imperial stouts and the like which are more difficult to brew, but in the pale ale department especially, the commercial examples just don't seem that special. Stuff like that Epic Armageddon IPA, the bottle I tried was supposed to be relatively fresh, and still it was pretty disappointing compared to its label.

It just strikes me, as the list is supposed to be the best, yet you could expect to crank something out just as good on your sunday afternoon.

its about consistenly brewing excellent beer moreso I believe...

Nice to see NZ repping 1,2 and 3...

Pot Kettle Black should be number one... Although it is my fave style at the mo...

I can't help but feel that many of the members here could casually brew a better beer, in one's opinion, than most of the beers on that list. Certainly there are some imperial stouts and the like which are more difficult to brew, but in the pale ale department especially, the commercial examples just don't seem that special. Stuff like that Epic Armageddon IPA, the bottle I tried was supposed to be relatively fresh, and still it was pretty disappointing compared to its label.

It just strikes me, as the list is supposed to be the best, yet you could expect to crank something out just as good on your sunday afternoon.

That's the main reason I didn't go to the Platform Bar in Brisbane much, the likes of Stone & Wood, Sunshine Coast etc struck me as fairly bland, and almost invariably cloudy. Haven't they heard of bloody Polyclar? Really I'd be ashamed to put some of those brews on the bar - as it happens I'm in a competition for the Archive Bar at the moment, four entrants beers will be brewed and on tap - if by any chance one of my entries gets up I'm definitely going to be peeved if it doesn't get served clear and attractive and looking like a BEER, not a CRAFT BEER.

<_<

cloudy_craft_beer.jpg

tick fail fail, or maybe #2 is a wheat beer.

well here's what BJCP says about IPA apeparance;

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist.

although i'm only posting this, as this is what one of my Archive IPAs look like... all others seem to be brilliantly clear

Triple_IPA_2.JPG

I've found that I can dry hop up to 1g/L without any haze. But it takes a while for the initial dry hop haze to settle out.

I've found that I can dry hop up to 1g/L without any haze. But it takes a while for the initial dry hop haze to settle out.
that'll explain the haze on my latest IPA with over 5g/litre dry hopping :blink:

Back