Raspberry and Coconut Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewedCrudeandBitter

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a raspberry and coconut wheat beer (because I'm a glutton for punishment) and I'm in serious need of advice.

I'm thinking of going half/half Maris Otter and wheat and contemplating the addition of one or two specialty malts and maybe even naked oats to try and get a little biscuity flavour in there. I don't actually want it to be sweet but I'm thinking that I'd like a little something in there to offset the tartness of the raspberry and to compliment the coconut. Colour, clarity and sticking to style are pretty well irrelevant.

Do you think it would be worth throwing in a couple of hundred grams of honey, biscuit or maybe even aromatic malt in?

I'm going to throw in 2kgs of raspberries and about 300g of toasted coconut once fermentation has slowed and see how she goes.

I've done a fair bit of brewing with the golden naked oats and I'd describe them as more fruity, dark berry-like than biscuity, FWIW. Great in stout, but I think it might clash with the raspberry.

Just quickly, how long would you all leave the fruit in the beer before bottling? I've had the raspberries and coconut in the beer for 3 days now and it's taken on a bit of colour and a lot of flavour (I think I might have toasted the coconut a bit more than I intended, I'm getting a strong jam and peanut butter on toast flavour).

The small krausen that formed around the bag has gone now.

Id use something other than the marris otter as a base if it was me... too much caramel being introduced.

I wanted something with a slightly bigger malt presence than just a pale or pils to give the raspberry and coconut something to grab on to. Was aiming for a bit of a raspberry and coconut slice kind of aftertaste.

Maris/wheat/ Munich 1 OR Vienna (5% or so), should add more malt character.

Maybe a little touch of Belgian Biscuit (as you suggested) to add that coconut slice base flavour, and don't forget to toast the coconut.

Colour has come out quite nicely. It still had a fairly strong toasty flavour thanks to the overcooked coconut so it'll be interesting to see how it goes in the bottle.

ohe60HU.jpg

Back