Racking?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote name='Mike L'Itorus' post='958893' date='Oct 2 2012, 04:46 AM']Briggs, Boulton, Brookes and Stevens would disagree with you on this. Which is why they dedicated a section in chapter 15 ("Beer Maturation and Treatments") to "Principles of Secondary Fermentation" (15.2.1) in their book, Brewing Science and Practice.[/quote]

Ermmmm, ok.

Which bit(s) are you referring to, because from what I have read, been told and done this seems to be correct. But I am always keen to learn more.

Ermmmm, ok.

Which bit(s) are you referring to, because from what I have read, been told and done this seems to be correct. But I am always keen to learn more.

Which bit of your previous post, or which bit of BS&P? I'll presume the former.

Racking the beer to another vessel to perform secondary fermentation, as opposed to racking post fermentation, just for the sake of it (which is what, unfortunately, so many people on brewing forums think 'secondary' is), when performed correctly, does, in fact, perform a purpose. It removes the beer from spent yeast; it allows a small uptake of oxygen from the transfer process allowing the remaining yeast to finish the fermentation more thoroughly, allows the yeast to attenuate fully, and converts unwanted flavour compounds into flavourless products.

Performing a multi-stage fermentation is not everyones cup of tea, nor is it (necessarily) required (although I would never perform a double drop without also performing a secondary fermentation). Here is the last part of what is said on the subject in BS&P. The first line of this quote is of particular importance.

In any event the yeast must have access to fermentable carbohydrate for the process to succeed. This carbohydrate is provided, as above, by residual gravity in the beer or by the addition of sugar by priming or by krausening. Krausening is the addition of wort from the active
`krausen' stage of the primary fermentation usually at 510% by volume of the green beer. In shorter secondary fermentation regimes yeast activity must be intense to achieve carbonation, purging of the undesirable volatiles, removal of all residual oxygen and chemical reduction of many compounds. This leads to immediate improvement of flavour and aroma and flavour stability.

A real world example would be in an English ale, if using a yeast that throws diacytal (I'm thinking of a particular whitelabs yeast, here, which is a great yeast, but it throws a lot of diacytal)...over time, with aging, the diacytal will clear itself up. Although, by aging the beer, the esters will also reduce. A secondary fermentation may assist with clearing the (excess) diacytal up in a shorter timeframe, thus allowing you to retain the full ester profile.

ymmv, 2c, etc. And I can't be arsed checking to see if I've spelled diacytal correctly. But it doesn't look right. No doubt if I'm wrong, someone (and he knows who he is :rolleyes: ) will correct me. Although checking the spelling would have been quicker than typing this paragraph.

So it's this bit you were referring to.......

"I don't think there is any such thing as "secondary fermenting" in the context you mean."

Glad to know that I'm (sort of) doing it right then, even though I didn't realise it was a "secondary fermentation".

"I like to get my beer out of the primary just before it has finished fermenting so that it finishes in the secondary. Personal preference"

I also rack my beers. Always have, may or may not always will... Started doing it to bulk prime back in the bottling days.
Partly habit perhaps, but mostly so I can reuse the yeast cake and get the racked beer clearer (Cold condition) before kegging it.

NickJD - It sounds as if I must be massively overpitching many of my brews. I may try just using part of the yeast cake next time. Luckily, most of my brews are hop driven PA's and IPA's, usually American style ones, so they are still plenty tasty without the extra yeast flavours you mention.
Dumping the wort straight onto the yeast cake seems to work OK for me. The yeast is kept "sterile" under 20 litres of %4.5 - %8.5 alcohol until it is reused. I really am pretty lazy, so haven't tried rinsing yeast. Maybe one day I will, until then I might just try tipping say 2/3 of the slurry out of the FV before pouring the fresh wort in.

@Manticle (or as some affectionately call you, ManTesticle. :lol: Funny stuff, that.) No, it wasn't you I was referring to.

@BDD....

"I like to get my beer out of the primary just before it has finished fermenting so that it finishes in the secondary. Personal preference"

I was sober thismorning, and yet I missed this line. Seems I coluld have saved myself some typing. Hope you learned something out of my rant, though....

although, to expand......

For the purpose of....collecting yeast, getting off trub, fining, collecting yeast without finings in it, etc, etc, etc, etc.......getting the beer out of primary prior to completion of fermentation allows the active yeast in suspension to consume the small uptake of oxygen inevitable in the transfer process.....preventing....anyone? ....anyone?....Bueller?....

B)

NickJD - It sounds as if I must be massively overpitching many of my brews.

Some styles suit a bit of an overpitch. Some really miss out - if your beer has yeast-derived flavours it's good not to overpitch.

Commercial Euro lager pitch rates would be an overpitch to most homebrewers.

Latest posts

Back