Racking To Secondry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sure it has been told on here before but what are the advantages of secondary fermentation, i havnt tried it before.

And how do all of you do it??

Cheers KHB
Surely ye troll? See here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry318402

In a sense there is no border between primary and secondary. It's a continuum from high krausen down to a final cleaning up of your beer. I'm in the camp that says, remove beer from yeast only for long term conditioning. Otherwise the yeast can't do that final cleaning up as easily.

Not exactly sure what you're asking... but the beer is more dense than CO2 (gas) so the beer sits below the CO2 (duh?). Air is less dense than CO2 so a "blanket" of CO2 occurs between the beer and air.
But "air" isn't a compound that settles into a layer. I think you mean CO2 is heavier than O2 so it sits between the beer and the oxygen. I'm guessing Mr Lurker means that this doesn't completely protect the beer from contacting the oxygen. Without his scientific smarts, I'm guessing an example is that there are traces of other gases in "air" that are heavier than oxygen that don't protect your beer from the oxygen so why think that CO2 will?

Not exactly sure what you're asking... but the beer is more dense than CO2 (gas) so the beer sits below the CO2 (duh?). Air is less dense than CO2 so a "blanket" of CO2 occurs between the beer and air.

Yep that's my understanding (when I said sinks to the bottom I meant the bottom of the empty vessel).

As far as I'm aware CO2 is more dense than air and not inclined to mix or disperse readily. So it would provide a layer of protection, at least for the period of transfer.

If I'm wrong let me know why.

the reason I like to transfer with a bit of fermentation left is to create a layer above after transfer.

I have just racked my 1st larger, usually cannot wait so crash chill, force carb and drink. This is a brew that I cannot wait to taste but have decided even if I have to buy a beer in the mean time I will wait! - Just a Coopers Euro Larger kit (using this as a taste test)

Just wondering what everybody thinks is the best process post trasfer - Time, temp, etc etc. Brew to be transfered into a keg and force carbed prior to drinking!

Cheers
Andrew

Yep that's my understanding (when I said sinks to the bottom I meant the bottom of the empty vessel).

As far as I'm aware CO2 is more dense than air and not inclined to mix or disperse readily. So it would provide a layer of protection, at least for the period of transfer.

Which is why all the CO2 sits at the bottom of valleys, making them deadly on a windless day. :rolleyes:

Gasses mix through diffusion. So the CO2 might be heavier, but it doesn't just sit at the bottom with the lighter gasses above it. Wikipedia article here.

I have just racked my 1st larger, usually cannot wait so crash chill, force carb and drink. This is a brew that I cannot wait to taste but have decided even if I have to buy a beer in the mean time I will wait! - Just a Coopers Euro Larger kit (using this as a taste test)

Just wondering what everybody thinks is the best process post trasfer - Time, temp, etc etc. Brew to be transfered into a keg and force carbed prior to drinking!

Cheers
Andrew

I think it depends on the style. Lagers will benefit from a secondary transfer and cold conditioning. This allows the yeast to clean up and drop out and for the flavours of the beer to become more rounded.

Do some searches for lagering for more info

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Back