Racking To Keg. Anybody Tried This Method?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slurpdog

Reaction score
Hi all

Just about to rack some brews into keg and was wondering if anybody has tried this method and if it works.
To save feeding the racking tube into the keg, and trying to get it to coil up in the bottom to reduce splashing, I was thinking, had anybody tried fitting a beer disconnect to the end of their racking tube, connecting it to the beer out fitting on the keg and racking that way.
I think it would work, albeit very slowly, but after a prior experience with an oxidised beer I'm a little paranoid about too much splashing in the bottom of a keg while racking.

Thanks
Slurpdog

Hi all

Just about to rack some brews into keg and was wondering if anybody has tried this method and if it works.
To save feeding the racking tube into the keg, and trying to get it to coil up in the bottom to reduce splashing, I was thinking, had anybody tried fitting a beer disconnect to the end of their racking tube, connecting it to the beer out fitting on the keg and racking that way.
I think it would work, albeit very slowly, but after a prior experience with an oxidised beer I'm a little paranoid about too much splashing in the bottom of a keg while racking.

Thanks
Slurpdog

Will probably work ok, albeit slowly but you may have trouble removing the air from the line as you syphon it. I'd also be worried about some gunk blocking the Keg post & bringing it all to a halt. So weighing up the pro's & con's I'd use a normal transfer tube every time.

cheers Ross

Slurpdog,

Just give the receiving keg a shot of c02 to creat a blanket prior to transfer...to reduce O2, rack as normal

Cheers
JSB

Cool thanks Ross.
BTW how did you get a courier to deliver on Sunday?
I went out this morning and came back home to find my kegs waiting on my rear deck.
Top stuff, thanks!!!

This is exactly how I do it every time. It is a tad slower but not as much as you might think...

I got my keg system from Gerard (ND Brewing) and he made up this little gadget as part of the deal. Works well - as you say its just a barbed liquid disconnect with racking tube on it. All I do is force out the sterilising solution through the disconnect and racking tube (which sterilises it too) and then hook it up to the fermenter, open the pressure release valve on the keg and im off and racing! There is also basically no risk of oxidation because the gas that is in the keg is residual CO2. Too easy!

Will probably work ok, albeit slowly but you may have trouble removing the air from the line as you syphon it. I'd also be worried about some gunk blocking the Keg post & bringing it all to a halt. So weighing up the pro's & con's I'd use a normal transfer tube every time.

cheers Ross

Or a Peristaltic Pump !!!! :super:

You just arent a real craft brewer unless you have a peristaltic pump ya know.

RM

Slurpdog,

Just give the receiving keg a shot of c02 to creat a blanket prior to transfer...to reduce O2, rack as normal

Cheers
JSB

Exackery. I normally put a shot of gas into the keg then rack. Have not had an oxidised beer yet.

This is exactly how I do it every time. It is a tad slower but not as much as you might think...

I got my keg system from Gerard (ND Brewing) and he made up this little gadget as part of the deal. Works well - as you say its just a barbed liquid disconnect with racking tube on it. All I do is force out the sterilising solution through the disconnect and racking tube (which sterilises it too) and then hook it up to the fermenter, open the pressure release valve on the keg and im off and racing! There is also basically no risk of oxidation because the gas that is in the keg is residual CO2. Too easy!

Ditto.

Yep I do something similar

I've just got a black (beer out) QD with a barb and about 6 inches of narrower OD tubing attached. I just siphon from my carboys as usual, let a bit of beer into a glass to clear out residual sanitiser and just squeeze the racking tube over the disconnect and line. Takes around 15 mins to transfer 18 litres.

Makes a good closed transfer system.

Make sure your pressure relief valve is open on the keg though or not much will happen. :lol:

Warren -

Slurpdog,

Cheers
JSB

There is no such thing as a "blanket of CO2" Do a search and find POLs excellent debunking of this commonly held misconception.

There is no such thing as a "blanket of CO2" Do a search and find POLs excellent debunking of this commonly held misconception.
Yep second that! Unless you totally fill keg with sanitiser then flush with co2 your going to get O2 where you dont want it.Any residual yeast is not normally going to be able to use up your keg O2 hence oxidised beer in the future.
Gryphon Brewing

Back