Racking Container (secondary)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
After moving beer from primary to secondary, I'm wondering what's the best cover for the secondary container... air tight lid with no holes okay? Or does secondary still need oxygen i.e. should drill a whole in the lid or use airlock? I'm racking my beer onto 2kg of fruit to get the fruits flavour into my beer.

Do you think any of the sugars from the fruit are going to ferment?

[EDIT: drunken grammar corrected (her manners are terrible when she's on it)]

After moving beer from primary to secondary, I'm wondering what's the best cover for the secondary container... air tight lid with no holes okay? Or does secondary still need oxygen i.e. should drill a whole in the lid or use airlock? I'm racking my beer onto 2kg of fruit to get the fruits flavour into my beer.

If ferment has finished and you're just racking to remove from the yeast then sealed would be fine (and preferable).

If you're racking part way through and you expect further ferment then you need somewhere for the co2 to go. It does have a tendency to find it's way out of the tiniest opening though.

If you're ageing for an extended period, it's recommended you have minimal headspace and possibly use less permeable material than plastic.

Back