Racking a Wheat kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey
Wondering if I should rack a Belgium wheat beer kit into a secondary carboy to get a bit of clarity and bring it slowly up to good sg for kegging. Im at a sg of 1.019 at 18 c. Or should I leave it on the cake till I keg it? I'm doing some hallertau hops with it and I'd like to keep steeping to get a nice flavor. How long do you recommend keeping a hop bag in for? This is my second keg but I've done a dozen bottling before buying my kegerator a few months back.
Thanks

Personally i would leave it in primary until it is finished and you are ready to keg it.

Rich

Thanks. This is the first time I've kept a constant temp of 18 and it just seems to be taking longer to get to a kegging sg. Prob a good thing..Been in there for 10 days.

wheat beers are meant to be cloudy so I see no advantage in racking to a secondary. But it might be time to increase your temp to 20C and rouse the yeast to them going to complete fermentation.

I just did a Belgian Wheat using Wyeast 3942. Went to 1012 in less than 4 days. I haven't bottled yet. Also just did a Hef with Wyeast 3638. 1011 in 3 days. Got to bottle this too. I fermented both at 17 deg. Those liquid yeasts do the job. Hopefully they are tasty!

Sorry guys. Just did another reading. I'm at 1.010. My last reading was on Sunday (3 days ago) and i just got a new hydrom, for xmas.You still recommend to raise my temps? What do most Belgium wheat beers start at as an average sg? Had a little taste and really quite refreshing and I can't wait to get this sucker cold and pressurized.

If its at 1010 you could pretty much keg it any time you want too. If bottling any check over next couple of days to make sure SG is stable.

Can't really comment on the Belgium styles.

Rich

Yes maybe raise to 20 deg for a day or two and take a reading then. I just bottled a witbeer. Was reading 1.014 for a few days. Raised it from 18 to 20deg and it still only dropped down to 1.012. Ended up putting the bottles back in the ferment fridge set at 18 cause I bottled it on the day it was 37deg in Sydney.

Latest posts

Back