Quince juice extraction and addition to cider ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead said:
Yeah. In this case, the raw quince flavour is perfect but I might give a cooked batch a crack next year as well.

I suspect that cooking the quince will make the sugars more available (raw quince - not sweet, cooked quince - sweet) so would be necessary for wine. This is a masceration in brandy rather than a fermentation so it works.

Cheers
Dave
When people cook quince usually they add a bunch of sugar/honey, it's not very sweet if you cook it plain. Not to discourage you, just for the truth.

There are quite a few varieties of quince (like apples) and some are actually not bad raw, while others taste like running the inside of your mouth with a dry sponge.

We cook a lot of quince... We usually puck up 20-30kg each year and turn it into jams, preserves, bottled quince... and quince brandy. Smyrna is the variety we use.

It does need sugar when its cooked... but not as much as you think. I quite often use it in a stew and cooked, its quite sweet. Raw its horrible... but cooked, quite nice.

Airgead said:
It does need sugar when its cooked... but not as much as you think. I quite often use it in a stew and cooked, its quite sweet. Raw its horrible... but cooked, quite nice.
+1 for that, and stewed with a splash of port, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves and other spices it is fantastic :icon_drool2:

Back