Quick Tun Weight Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I'm doing my 1st mash in my new GMK mashtun today. i know it's 11:30 but it's a quick and easy Pale.
My strike temp used to be about 74C to get 66C. I used to give it an extra degree because the tap is as slow as a dribbly old piss. You can't watch it without needing a piss <_< . Where the hell did you get this tap Jaz?? So i figure it's going to take longer than the 5 minutes to dough in.

Now my software is telling me because of the extra plastic that's going to suck heat out that I need 79C strike temp! :huh:
Is that right?

I don't want a hot 69C conversion on my hands when I'm aiming for a dry pale ale.

I have never used the software you are using but promash/beersmith normally gets this correct. Go with it. Do what I do and keep some cool water and some boiling water near by so you can adjust the temp if you miss it initially.

what's your strike temp?
when sw asks for the thermal weight do you just weight the tun and input that? or stab in the dark couple of kilos? it's really racking up the degrees C :huh:

anyone with a keepcold, what's your pro mash / beer smith setting?

tangent said:
what's your strike temp?
when sw asks for the thermal weight do you just weight the tun and input that? or stab in the dark couple of kilos? it's really racking up the degrees C :huh:

anyone with a keepcold, what's your pro mash / beer smith setting?
[post="106532"][/post]​
Assuming about 6kg of grain, the grain is around 25c and you water to grain ratio is about 2.5 that is about right. I'm not sure how to enter the weight in your software. In beersmith/promash it asks for thermall mass which is not weight. I also use a keep cold and use these calculators. You can allways adjust it if you miss it.

Don't panic!

tangent said:
lol - thanks dude :)
[post="106536"][/post]​

Go with the flow dude, and relax. And have extra water ready like aaron suggests

Having said that beersmith using the data I input for my 35L keep cold gives me a initial strike temp of 76-77C

Tangent.

When I used a round Igloo Cooler I used to mash in 8 degrees higher than required. eg; 66 mash, 74 strike water. Always seemed to come out right.

This was for a 40 litre batch, say 8kg grain and 25 litres of water. YMMV.

BTW I don't pre-heat the tun.

Warren -

ran through some more figures - based on your 4kg of grain and a water to grain ratio of 2.5/1 - and my 35L keepcold at 5.4kg fully fitted - beersmith says now says 75.7 - and I rarely miss by any more than a degree using beersmith

the good news is the next brew will be easier!

edit - changed to your volumes tangent

thanks fellas,
in the thick of it now
going for 78C because of so much stainless etc.

keep all informed how you went tangent.i use beersmith and ive a few different tuns.one plastic one a very large square one with no thermal insulation and both of these i go for a strike temp of 76 average and always come out with 66-67 final temp.your 78 should get you in this temp range if not a degree or two higher.

cheers
big d

oh take some notes of the temps you initially get then adjust accordingly next brew.

forgot to mention the square tun is stainless steel. :) with a built in temp controlled immersion heating coil.that was my great find of last year and free as well.

love my stainless
big d

tangent said:
fyi 79C-> 65C
[post="106546"][/post]​

74c ..66c for me

Cheers
Batz

how did th ebrew day go tangent...

How was the Mash Tun...

Ken, great day, but a bit too much alcohol. I need some mid-strength session beers instead of 6+% Belgians. I can remember filling the fermenter but honestly can't remember if I sanitised it first, although some things like that I do automatically now.
Introduced a mate of mine to AG brewing and he was in raptures, texting friends of his at each step. He's hooked.
Tun is great now I know how much heat it sucks up. Sparging was a breeze and clearer runoff than I had with the buckets.
Fermenter smells awesome this morning. Pitched a healthy starter of Coopers Sparkling Ale yeast.

Thanks a heap to Stu (sorry I missed your calls Stu but I was out in the brewery), Aaron & everyone else who reminded me to chill out and go with the flow. You guys Rock :super:

edit - View attachment 5828 here's my recipe. It's inspired by Coopers Pale but I just couldn't bring myself to add sugar.

ok, I've done a refractometer reading before fermentation kicks in.
20.5 Brix
that's 1.086 SG!! :blink:
My software suggests it should be around 1.048 :huh: ????
Even if I had 100% efficiency, it still wouldn't be that high. I'm estimating 70% efficiency.

I tried my refractometer with plain water and it's reading zero, so it shouldn't be a calibration problem.

What the hell is going on??????

got me beat tangent.maybe try another reading or two.did you take the sample from the top

cheers
big d

Take a hydrometer reading to compare it.

Latest posts

Back