Quick Simple Beer Kit Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicefreakz

Reaction score
used a kit beer can with yeast underneath the lid. used proper sugar (dextroseorsucrose,cantremember) from the brewing shop.

started it all 5 days ago, hydro-readings for past three days were 1.020, 1.016, 1.016.

hasnt been fermenting/bubbling at all really,(compared to what i have read described). tiny layer of froth on top of liquid.

what should be my plan of attack on this dilemma? is there a chance the yeast was crappy and should i get another pack? will thatchange thetaste much?

used a kit beer can with yeast underneath the lid. used proper sugar (dextroseorsucrose,cantremember) from the brewing shop.

started it all 5 days ago, hydro-readings for past three days were 1.020, 1.016, 1.016.

hasnt been fermenting/bubbling at all really,(compared to what i have read described). tiny layer of froth on top of liquid.

what should be my plan of attack on this dilemma? is there a chance the yeast was crappy and should i get another pack? will thatchange thetaste much?

Your in Victoria. I'm guessing it's freezing down there.
By your description - everything is fine - it's fermenting, It's just not finished.
If the temp is around 18-20 leave for another 4-5 days, take a reading and bottle as normal.

If the brew is colder than that leave longer or use a heat belt/pad to raise the temp couple of degrees if your worried.

If you made a kit up with dextrose to 22L, you should reach a final gravity < 1010 aprroaching 1004 depending on style.

Don't worry so much about the bubbling airlock ...it only takes a tiny flaw in the seal somewhere for this not to even happen.

It's not a drama though.

Good Luck,

PB :icon_cheers:

::UPDATE ON THE BREW::

8th day now, and the Hydro reading is 1.014.. There is no foam on top of the beer, and im pretty sure the beer is starting to clear up a decent amount..

what should i do lol

wait even longer, could take 14 days. That "brew in a week" is for people who brew at 24C, so if you can be patient just wait it out a bit more. Otherwise heat it up somehow (don't put it in the sun :D), get it to 22C for a day or so, shouldn't impact the taste much if at all since the majority is already fermented, and this would probably drop the FG to 1006 or so. (What FG is to be expected with this kit?)

Check the temperature. if it is below 18 deg, put it in a warm room until it is 23-24 max and it should kit off again. If you have a cube, rack it and leave it a week or three in the cube and it will finish, just let the gas out each day or so. If you clean the fermenter and start another brew you will forget this one for a week as you watch the new one.

yeah sweet, was at 18 degrees, will keep it over the heater for a while. the can said 1.008 - 1.003 FG.

whats a cube? heh

Latest posts

Back