Quick question - Bulk priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clauddr

Reaction score
Gents

I bottled my second AG batch yesterday - Weisbier.

I went online and used a calculator to work out how much dextrose I needed and the calc came out at 270g. Seemed a bit high but the CO2 vol. was recommended at 4.0 so I went with it.

Does this seem right to you more experienced folks? Or should I be expecting some explosions at 2am in the next week or so?? Not sure if it matters but I'm using the 740ml plastic bottles from Big W

Cheers
C

It sounds very high to me (assuming something like a 23 litre volume). I would have thought something closer to 6 to 7 grams sugar per litre would be closer to the mark (only because I've never had any problems with wheat beers being undercarbed).

Ahh. I just checked and see what you mean. The info I saw suggested a kegging pressure of 3 volumes for wheats, but I'm wondering if that's different for bottling. I've certainly never tried bottling at anywhere near that level, but perhaps I should bow out now to those that have much more experience than I.

If it was a warm ferment (mid 20s), and you're using dex rather than cane, and you really want 4.0 vols, that sounds about right.

4 vols is going to be pretty fizzy. What's the style?

If it were me I'd use bottles designed for highly carbed beers (some of the thicker German bottles)

over 3.5vols co2 is usually recommended for weizen style beers.
i think i used 3.75 for my last batch, which was about 11g sucrose per litre.
plastics won't explode anyway. should be fine.

g

Cheers for the replies guys.
My batch size was 21L and ferment was at 22deg.

Resting a little easier now...

180g is about the norm for 23l of pale ale so 270g is getting up there.
I've seen those PET bottles overcarbed - not mine I might add - and they bulge out at the base. If you start seeing this happen then crack each lid a bit to relieve the pressure.

Or throw hard against a wall for entertainment.*

* Injury may occur

TheWiggman said:
180g is about the norm for 23l of pale ale so 270g is getting up there.
180g sounds very high to me too, carbing in the mid 2s is usually around 150g for me on beersmith.

Dextrose? Bear in mind this suits my tastes, some like more or less carb.

Yeah, dextrose. How fizzy do you like your pale ales? As I said, I'm usually calculating 2.4-2.6-ish and usually with a top post-ferment temperature of around 20C.

I normally do my apa and ipa at 2.3 - 2.5 vols with cane sugar for 20L comes in at approx 108 gms

Seems I'm full of shit again.
Always did 180g based on a calculation years ago from carb drops (when I didn't have online calculators or a book). Since going AG I've only bulk primed for ciders and a half batch.
Yes, 180g is high for ales. 150g is about the norm. Thanks for the heads up PI.
From my trusty home brew book it recommends 11.5g/l for wheats, equating to 3.75 vols.

I primed a wheat beer with about the same amount ( 270 gm ) and bottled it in the little creature bottles and yes I had some explosions fortunately I had stored them in styrofoam boxes . Next time I won't go any more than 180 gms .
Some of it leaked out onto the brand new carpet . I managed to clean up the mess without the missus finding out .

The bottle size means nothing.
You mentioned that you are using 740ml bottles,plastic,glass makes no difference to carbing volumes,I can't help with the levels but the carbonation rate is worked out for the total volume of fermented wort to be bottled or keg to a desired rate.
Cheers....spog...

Thanks gents, just in case I'll crack the lids this weekend (a week into conditioning) and release some pressure.

Latest posts

Back