Quick Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaffaMan

Reaction score
Hi guys just need some quick help, havent brewed in 2 months and the heat today has put me out a bit.

Q1: After topping the fermenter up to 23 litres I noticed that I have a temp of 28 deg, I now I shouldent pitch the yeast yet so I've put the lid and bubbler on and chucked it in the fermenter fridge (just set it up with fridgemate), Is it going to be much of a problem if I wait till it hits 20deg before pitching??

Q2: I also (not thinking straight today) accidently put my hops in at 15min mark (for hop schedual of 15, 5)
but forgot to make the water 1.040 by putting LME in before. I patched this up by putting the LME in at the 10 min mark and added 5g of a completly different hop to try fix things, will this make much of difference??

Cheers Jaff

Q1 - If its packet yeast I would pitch it now - as by the time it has cooled the 8 degrees, it would've hydrated. If its liquid, I would pitch at around midway (24).

Q2 - Adding the LME at the end will be fine imo, only minor effect on hop utilisation (I would not worry though), different hops at 5 mins will affect your aroma/flavour.

Edit - Q2 imo give it a go, you might stumble onto a winner!

Awsome thanks raven, its reached 26deg now, so i'll pitch it.

Yeah might turn a bit weird with the hop schedual, I'm doing Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale, I used 15g amarillo @ 15 and 5, the other hop I used 5g of @ the 10min mark was saaz, lol it was all I had alot of.

With that grain bill, it will still be very drinkable imo.

I love all hops I have tried... maybe I am just a hop whore? :p :lol:

Yeah I think I'm a hop whore as well, cant get enough of em.

Give the wort another good stir and slosh around to make the perfect conditions for the yeast.

For the 15min boil I doubt that you'll be missing any of the aroma or flavour from the hops by not having the LME already in the water.

Latest posts

Back