Quick Disconnect Barb Stuck Of Cornelius Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find pressure actually makes it easier to remove a disconnect, they literally pop off :-\

does make it harder to connect them though!

If you've never used this disconnect with beer etc, then its probably not gummed up with sugars :)

It is also possible for the beer/liquid posts to be installed in the wrong positions on a keg...

I did see one of those white knock-off disconnects in an HB store, it was torn apart as someone had brought it in for assistance from the proprietor who helped rip it off with pliers and then the poor fella bought a proper one :)

Make sure you are lifting the collar and then if you can't pull it off, get something to lever it off, like a flat head screw driver.

070c9_220px-Kegwiki14.jpg

okay - i'll give it a try tonight...

Beer out disconnects will not fit onto a gas in post. if you do fit it on, it will get stuck. Gas disconnects on the other hand fit easily on the gas and beer posts.

How do you identify if you have put the wrong post on your beer out diptube?

if the post without a QDC on it as a thin lip on it, its a gas post. A fat lip = beer post. you can only assume the post with the QDC on it has the opposite. My guess is the keg has been rebuilt incorrectly and you've jammed the Beer out QDC onto the wrong post type.

The only time i ever have issues with QDC is the collar getting stuck due to beer residue or fresh rubber O rings holding the QDC onto the post but this is easily fixed by pulling the collar of the QDC up and twisting it as i try to pull it off the post. I haven't been dumb enough to force a beer out disconnect onto the wrong post type.... yet. :p

Beer out disconnects will not fit onto a gas in post. if you do fit it on, it will get stuck. Gas disconnects on the other hand fit easily on the gas and beer posts.

How do you identify if you have put the wrong post on your beer out diptube?

if the post without a QDC on it as a thin lip on it, its a gas post. A fat lip = beer post. you can only assume the post with the QDC on it has the opposite. My guess is the keg has been rebuilt incorrectly and you've jammed the Beer out QDC onto the wrong post type.

The only time i ever have issues with QDC is the collar getting stuck due to beer residue or fresh rubber O rings holding the QDC onto the post but this is easily fixed by pulling the collar of the QDC up and twisting it as i try to pull it off the post. I haven't been dumb enough to force a beer out disconnect onto the wrong post type.... yet. :p

Gas out posts can also be twelve sided vs 6 sided, or they can have notches in the 6 sides, or they can have a split horizontally, or combinations of all that

Gas out posts can also be twelve sided vs 6 sided, or they can have notches in the 6 sides, or they can have a split horizontally, or combinations of all that

FECK!!!!! THATS IT!!!!

As they were new kegs, we pulled em apart to put new seals on the posts. I bet I put the wrong post on the wrong side... Lol... Okay, so if thats the case, how do I get the fecking thing off, or is new post time???

I've noticed the newer QDs doing the rounds at the moment (white rather than grey gas ones, black beer ones) are terrible, and are doing exactly the same thing to me. They seem to have bare metal barbs rather than the old ones that maybe had a plastic coating.
Sounds like a cheap imported knock off, who sold you those, ebay buy?
I have some of the same, they do seem to be 'stickier' than the grey ones, but I could be imagining it.
I believe I bought them at CB.

Good point, the lip I'm actually talking about the lip on the post that the disconnect bites onto, not the socket type. Mine is a constant regardless of the socket used. If you have any posts like the ones below (which i have) it can be hard to identify. if you remember my method, you don't have to worry about all of those other combination. You can also blindly feel inside your kegerator like i do and know what post you're putting your disconnect onto without having to eyeball it.

KP315C.jpg

the one on the left is gas, the right is beer out. note the lip I'm talking about is the ridge below the o-ring before you get to the socket/nut type.

Various escalations of extreme force has worked for me in the past... now I'm *much* more careful to always check the keg markings before connecting...

But I also don't get the gas posts swapped ;)

Basically... pull it off anyway you can.

Back