Questions For The Land Down Under...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whorst

Reaction score
First time poster. I found your site by doing searches for Safbrew S-33. Now regarding S-33, is it English in flavor? I like English strains, but I find that S-04 masks the shit out of hops. It'll give you good, firm bitterness, but masks aroma and flavor I find. I'd really like the opinion from someone who uses S-33 regularly.

Does anyone use Pacific Gem hops? I'd like to use them, but don't know anything about them besides them being resistant to bugs. I guess they're largely organic? I have a source for them on the West Coast.

Is there still a beer called Sheaf Stout?? I used to drink gallons of this stuff in the late 80's. I thought it was a very nice stout.

Cheers,

Whorst :icon_cheers:

I went to a bowls club for a surprise 50th party two weeks ago and 5, 6 or 7 Sheaf Stouts. I really enjoyed them. I still miss Tooheys Oatmeal Stout. How can megasill producers make good stout but not much else?

First time poster. I found your site by doing searches for Safbrew S-33. Now regarding S-33, is it English in flavor? I like English strains, but I find that S-04 masks the shit out of hops. It'll give you good, firm bitterness, but masks aroma and flavor I find. I'd really like the opinion from someone who uses S-33 regularly.

Does anyone use Pacific Gem hops? I'd like to use them, but don't know anything about them besides them being resistant to bugs. I guess they're largely organic? I have a source for them on the West Coast.

Is there still a beer called Sheaf Stout?? I used to drink gallons of this stuff in the late 80's. I thought it was a very nice stout.

Cheers,

Whorst :icon_cheers:

Pacific Gem is great in a stout. I think there are some around here who have used them in a single hop ale but I'm not certain.
They are my stout hop of choice.
Can't help with the s33.

Barry:

Stouts are meant to be strong in flavour (a niche market) so I'd guess the powers-that-be (the bean counters) allow a little creativity from the brewer.

However the main revenue for any major brewery is for their staple beer, the "premium lager", which has to be primarily cheap, and hence (or perhaps it is also a requirement) dry and bland.

I think we're still lucky they make Tooheys Old, which has got me out of many awkward "damn, there's nothing drinkable at this pub" moments.

I think we're still lucky they make Tooheys Old, which has got me out of many awkward "damn, there's nothing drinkable at this pub" moments.

I agree with this, one of the only beers I enjoyed last time I was at an Aussie pub, admittedly before I got into home brewing, but still...

I agree with this, one of the only beers I enjoyed last time I was at an Aussie pub, admittedly before I got into home brewing, but still...

Must have gone to crap pubs then :p

Whorst - I'm guessing you don't mean the Aussie West Coast?

I went to a bowls club for a surprise 50th party two weeks ago and 5, 6 or 7 Sheaf Stouts. I really enjoyed them. I still miss Tooheys Oatmeal Stout. How can megaswill producers make good stout but not much else?
Maybe it's because Tooheys still a reasonable ale yeast, for the Old and Sheaf stout
I've heard that the attenuation is not that great, but they brew strong and dilute at bottling to achieve a dry result.
I've also heard that it's a very fruity yeast, which comes through in the beer. Maybe we shold be glad that it's diluted for bottling to take the edge off the excess fruitiness.

Back to the S33. I've noticed it produces a bit of phenolics in a Leffe blonde clone. This may be unusual as the S33 is allegedly the original Edme yeast, and therefore British.
Can't help re Pacific Gem though, as it's not a hop that I have experienced

Must have gone to crap pubs then :p

Whorst - I'm guessing you don't mean the Aussie West Coast?

Yeah I did, surf clubs and the like, we were on the gold coast... And as said, it was before I brewed, if I went these days I would be looking to drink AHB members beers as opposed to going to the pubs :icon_cheers:

Yeah I did, surf clubs and the like, we were on the gold coast... And as said, it was before I brewed, if I went these days I would be looking to drink AHB members beers as opposed to going to the pubs :icon_cheers:

No, I meant West Coast California.

This may be unusual as the S33 is allegedly the original Edme yeast, and therefore British.

That's all I used in the UK, brilliant yeast. It was also a big seller in the individual yellow and blue sachets in the 70s and 80s in LHBS here in Australia.

Sheaf Stout available in Sydney at least. When we visit the rellies at Beacon Hill twice a year the first thing I do is head down the hill to Warringah Mall and stock up on the ol' sheaf :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I've been getting stout cravings lately and might see if CraftBrewer have the S33, and make it my first partial mash brew to boot.

Edit: I hear a rumour that Lion Nathan are going to kill off Castlemaine Perkins Carbine Stout next year. Bastards. Petition????

Back