Question about b gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
I've just done a brew and I've put me recipe at 60% efficiency. Now on brew mate it says I should get a boil gravity of 1042

Now at 75.c I took a reading and it was 1022 when I checked with temp calibration it come up to 1042.

I'm guessing I've done everything right here. If I have done something wrong please let me no.

My recipe is js 150 lashes.

I used 9kg trade ale
3 kg wheat
And 1kg munich

54*litres of water

Sparged with another 4litres.

90min boil with a mash out. Took the reading while doing the mash out.

Now the recipe calls for 15minute hop additions. Do I have to do a 1 hr boil or do I tone it down a bit

Says a 90 min boil, did you mean mash out?

If your program is assuming a 60 min boil, less will throw the calcs our, as in you may not reach your expected OG

mrsupraboy said:
90min boil with a mash out. Took the reading while doing the mash out.

Now the recipe calls for 15minute hop additions. Do I have to do a 1 hr boil or do I tone it down a bit
90min boil with mash out doesnt really make sense..

The mash out is part of sparging which wont affect you kettle volume.

You will need to do the 1hr boil as boil time will reduce wort volume and increase SG.

Then throw your 15min hops in at 15min from finish of your boil ( 45 from the begining of the boil )

Well I started at 62 for 50mins then changed to 68 for 40 I then increased the temp to 75 for 10mins and pulled it out into a pot and added a bit of water to pull and remaining stuff out of it then added back and boiled

What's the question? Preboil gravity of 1042 expected or post boil 1042 expected?

Preboil was 1042 and was as expected but that's at 60% efficiency just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Was I meant to measure the gravity being that hot or was I mean the to let let cool down

60%efficiency is a bit low for BIAB. Isn't it tho.

I don't yet adjust for pH as I'm still trying to figure other things out. I'm thinking that I may have to do a finer crush to.

The only reason I I went for 60% was just for a start I wouldn't mind hitting closer to 75%

mrsupraboy said:
Preboil was 1042 and was as expected but that's at 60% efficiency just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Was I meant to measure the gravity being that hot or was I mean the to let let cool down
Measure gravity at 15-20 degrees. It will read lower if it's hot. You can adjust with calculators too.

Yeah that's what I did. Used an online calc. I just put the same recipe in beer Smith to adjust for next time and it saying I got 65% efficiency. I also cubed hot so when I'm going to ferment I'll take a reading then

Get the brew process down properly and produce beer which is drinkable. Then worry about the numbers. Once you know what to tweak, then you can start experimenting.

Sounds like you're getting there though.

As long as you're consistent with your process and numbers, it's easy to start tweaking your process to try and get some extra points in efficiency.

Pretty sure my first few brews were around the 60-65% efficiency, and now get around 80-85% (some people get >90%) by just understanding my system and fine tuning a couple of steps (one at a time) through experimenting. As long as I know I'll get around 80% on my system, then it's easy to base a recipe around that and spend more time experimenting with your ingredients (for example) once you're happy with your process.

Back