Queensland Amateur Brewing Competition 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Hi QLD Brewers,

The time for getting your entries in for the QABC is nearing! The QABC is the qualifying competition for entry into the Australian Amateur Brewing Competition (AABC), to be held this year in Perth.

Judging for the QABC will take place on Saturday, 9 September at the Prince Alfred Hotel, 170 Brisbane Road Booval. Close off date for entry will be Saturday 26 August at either Craftbrewer, Brewers Choice, Ipswich Brew Co or National Homebrew stores.

The 20 categories (18 beers, and one cider and one mead) have changed this year, and the descriptions can be found on the AABC web site www.aabc.org.au Please note that these are now using the new BJCP guidelines.

Due to the rapid growth of the competition and the pressure that is being placed on the number of judges and cool room storage required, a limit of 5 has been introduced on the number of entries per brewer, and a cap on the number of entries in each category has been set at 48. This has been designed to enable more brewers to participate without substantially increasing the total number of beers to be judged.

An online registration system will be used for both bottle registration and for judges/stewards and will go live shortly. This should enable us to make the judging sheets available much earlier.

The cost of entry will be $6 per entry, paid online as part of the registration process. (The separate registration fee per brewer has been scrapped).

Brewers need only submit one bottle per entry. However, brewers need to have a second bottle available, as if they come in the top 3, they will be asked to forward their second bottle to the organisers, who will arrange refrigerated shipment to Perth, and pay the AABC entrance fee ($10).

In addition, we will need volunteers to assist with judging and stewarding. We aim to have at least one BJCP qualified judge for every category, but we will still need a second judge for each category. The Prince Alfred Hotel is close to the Booval railway station and has plenty of parking. A quality lunch will be provided to all judges and stewards. The plan is to judge the entire competition on the Saturday which will require a minimum of 46 judges and 10-12 stewards, so your assistance is essential! If you would like to volunteer, please register using the online registration for which there will be a link on our web site www.qabc.org.au once it has been activated.

Cheers

Stephen Wharton

5 entries per brewer is a great idea to stop carpet bombers but i can see it having an impact on the smaller clubs doing well in the club tally when up against larger clubs with stacks of members.

Yeah I see your point Beersuit, but we are pretty restricted by the number of judges available, and the fact that most judges don't want to judge 2 days in a row. Restricting entries is really our only option.

Any tentative timeframes for when the online registration will be up and running?
2nd Round of review with the QABC committee just done, likely live in the next day or so. Also introducing an online payment system via PayPal which should make the whole process a lot simpler for both organisers and participants. Now I just need to brew something!

2nd Round of review with the QABC committee just done, likely live in the next day or so. Also introducing an online payment system via PayPal which should make the whole process a lot simpler for both organisers and participants. Now I just need to brew something!
Are we any closer to the online registration going live?

It is now online for registering your account and for Judges and Stewards registration. Bottle registration should be available in the next day or 2. The QABC website is yet to be updated with the registration page link, but it can be found here: http://www.qldbeercomp.org/qabc/

Cheers - Snow.

It is rather concerning that the registration page is insecure - are you aware that you're asking people to submit their personal details to a site that doesn't protect the information at all?

It is rather concerning that the registration page is insecure - are you aware that you're asking people to submit their personal details to a site that doesn't protect the information at all?

Hi, Thanks for bringing this up, oversight on my part. I've ordered/loaded an SSL certificate for the site. The payment part of the process starts a different (and secured) session with PayPal externally.

Please use this updated link (same site - secured by SSL)

https://www.qldbeercomp.org/qabc/

Thanks,

Colin.

Hi, Thanks for bringing this up, oversight on my part. I've ordered/loaded an SSL certificate for the site. The payment part of the process starts a different (and secured) session with PayPal externally.

Please use this updated link (same site - secured by SSL)

https://www.qldbeercomp.org/qabc/

Thanks,

Colin.
Much better - would hate to see the competition and organisation impacted by an avoidable data breach!

5 entries per brewer is a great idea to stop carpet bombers but i can see it having an impact on the smaller clubs doing well in the club tally when up against larger clubs with stacks of members.

Yeah I see your point Beersuit, but we are pretty restricted by the number of judges available, and the fact that most judges don't want to judge 2 days in a row. Restricting entries is really our only option.

In addition to adding up all the points for a club, could you work out a 'per capita' or 'per entry' score when assessing the club scores? Gives you a measure of quality versus quantity.

With the new registration system, when do the beers get put in the coolroom?

M
Hi Mattbrewer,

it depends where the entries are dropped off. If they go to Craftbrewer, they go straight into a coolroom. If they go to the other homebrew stores, I'm pretty sure none of them have coolroom space to spare. Regardless of drop-off point, all entries will be in the coolroom at the judging venue by 1st or 2nd September.

Cheers - Snow

In addition to adding up all the points for a club, could you work out a 'per capita' or 'per entry' score when assessing the club scores? Gives you a measure of quality versus quantity.
Thanks for your suggestion, pcqypcqy. I'll pass on to the comp committee.

Cheers - Snow

Hi pcqypcqy,

We had a look at this and decided it would be too much work for limited benefit. Ultimately the QABC is not a "club v club" comp, but an open competition for all Queensland brewers, regardless of their involvement in a club or not. The club tally is really just a bit of fun for bragging rights - no prizes or anything.

The comp is run by a small band of dedicated volunteers who have a ton of work to do to get the comp over the line. Any brewers who have issues with the current terms and conditions of the QABC are welcome to join the committee and have their say!

Cheers - Snow.

Hi pcqypcqy,

We had a look at this and decided it would be too much work for limited benefit. Ultimately the QABC is not a "club v club" comp, but an open competition for all Queensland brewers, regardless of their involvement in a club or not. The club tally is really just a bit of fun for bragging rights - no prizes or anything.

The comp is run by a small band of dedicated volunteers who have a ton of work to do to get the comp over the line. Any brewers who have issues with the current terms and conditions of the QABC are welcome to join the committee and have their say!

Cheers - Snow.

Fair enough. Thanks for following it up.

Back