Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If entering bottle conditioned beers, do these need to be ready to drink when delivered to Craftbrewer by Sept 23rd?
Are entry bottles stored cold or at room temp to enable bottle conditioning?

smokomark said:
If entering bottle conditioned beers, do these need to be ready to drink when delivered to Craftbrewer by Sept 23rd?
Are entry bottles stored cold or at room temp to enable bottle conditioning?
There is an error regarding the cut-off date in the OP (fixed later in the thread) - the last day for receiving entries at Craftbrewer is Saturday 28th September, by 1pm.

If the entries are clearly marked, they will be left out of the cold room until registration. Registration is usually done about two weeks before the comp to give us enough time to work out the judging schedule and prepare for any unanticipated influx of entries. At registration, the bottles are grouped together and stored cold, so it becomes infeasible to keep them separate after that point. If you are entering bottle-conditioned beers, I would plan for them to be ready to be chilled within a week after the cut-off date.

Edit: further clarification

tallie said:
There is an error regarding the cut-off date in the OP (fixed later in the thread) - the last day for receiving entries at Craftbrewer is Saturday 28th September, by 1pm.
Have changed 23 to 28 in OP.

If anyone is thinking about helping out on the day of judging, but isn't sure what's involved, there's a great write-up by waggastew about his experience from stewarding at the NSW comp last weekend.

The details for judging and stewarding at this year's Qld comp are on the first page of this thread.

just wondering with the unmarked thing - will it matter if some of my entries have some basic markings on the cap?

While not on the organising committee, I'd say yes it will - if the bottles are delivered unopened to the judging table (as happened last year). Once you have filled out the forms and stuck on the competition label, see if you can scrub off any markings on the lid.

tcc said:
just wondering with the unmarked thing - will it matter if some of my entries have some basic markings on the cap?
If it's significantly marked, you run the risk of the entry being disqualified. As winkle mentioned, bottles are brought to tables for judging, so there must be no identifying marks.

Methylated spirits is good for removing permanent marker of metal caps; not sure about plastic. Worst case scenario is to re-cap them (drop the temp close to freezing and don't agitate the bottles to avoid any significant carbonation loss).

sweet I was thinking some sort of solvent as all I use to mark is permanent marker

things like using a cooper's tallie aren't going to get me in trouble are they?

Coopers tallies are fine. By the way, I've personally done the re-capping trick before and ended up with a first-place for that entry :D I also know someone who has done very well after decanting two stubbies into a tallie. YYMV ;)

If you have used permanent marker, just re-write over it with a whiteboard marker then wipe it off. Well it least that works on whiteboards.

Edit. Just tried it and it works.

Anyone having a poblem downloading the AABC entry form? Bit hard sending entries if we can't download the form.

AndrewQLD said:
Anyone having a poblem downloading the AABC entry form? Bit hard sending entries if we can't download the form.
Sorry for this unanticipated situation; I will follow it up again tonight.

Hi All,

Yes - this year the QLD State Championships are trying something new. We want all entries to include 2 bottles (1 labeled with the QABC form, 1 labeled with the AABC form).

The AABC 2013 entry form should be uploaded soon. http://www.aabc.org.au

If it is not available at the time you label and pack your entries for the QABC competition, please use the section from last years AABC form (attached) for labeling your second bottle and the QABC comp organisers will look after your entries for both competitions (if you qualify for AABC) from there.

NOTE: Only use the attached form if you cannot wait for this years form to be uploaded onto the AABC site and please disregard the terms and conditions, dates and contact details as these were for last years 2012 AABC comp.

SIMPLES......russian meerkat accent

Cheers,

Dave
Chief Steward QABC 2013

PS - there's still time to brew - you know you want to :p

View attachment EntryFormAABC2012.pdf

HBHB said:
Still no Amber Ale Guidelines / Category for AABC David?
American Amber Ale, or something else? If you're talking about the former, it's under section 8.4 in the guidelines (added last year, I believe). Otherwise do you have a reference to its style guidelines?

I have two APA's I would like to enter. The rules state that I am only allowed one entry per style. Can I enter the second APA purely for feedback but it will be excluded from any prizes and the AABC?

elronalds said:
The rules state that I am only allowed one entry per style.
I'm sure that this rule is to limit the number of entries to a manageable level taking into account the number of available judges and and the time available. After all this comp is solely to ascertain the qualifiers for AABC from this state. Surely you know which is the best of the two, if not get your mates to try them and tell you. Mine aren't good enough so I wont be entering.

HD

Enter one as an american amber? The styles overlap quite a bit

elronalds said:
I have two APA's I would like to enter. The rules state that I am only allowed one entry per style. Can I enter the second APA purely for feedback but it will be excluded from any prizes and the AABC?
HowlingDog said:
I'm sure that this rule is to limit the number of entries to a manageable level taking into account the number of available judges and and the time available.
Yep, what HowlingDog said. APA is historically one of the most contested categories, and I'm sure the judges will have enough to get through on the day. If you are interested in feedback, is there a nearby club you could take it to? You might even be able to get someone happy to fill out a score sheet for you there (especially if you provide the scoresheet and the beer!)

Back