Q Regarding Yeast Slanting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not risky dipping something hot into metho?

I do mine similar to mikE, but the opposite order, i flame over the stove, dip in methoto cool then slant away

I only have a slant tube filled with it. As long as no flame goes in to the metho no, it isnt risky. Metho burns slowly but you do need to use commonsense when using naked flames and metho. I actually found it to be more dangerous dipping in metho then flaming as the metho makes it way up the holder of the innoc. loop.

Oh I dont like the sound of being on fire :) I'll give your procedure a go and see.. I hopefully will tell you how I went :) cheers..

I only have a slant tube filled with it. As long as no flame goes in to the metho no, it isnt risky. Metho burns slowly but you do need to use commonsense when using naked flames and metho. I actually found it to be more dangerous dipping in metho then flaming as the metho makes it way up the holder of the innoc. loop.

Cool, keep the 4lt bottle of metho away from the flame and you should be ok. :p

well I didn't blow myself up...

They're in my office at work because I can keep the temp around 19c - 22c here...

I think i put the yeast on the slant way to thick, does this matter?

I've opened a few and let the Co2 out, some sound like gas is coming out so I assume they're working but the others didn't have any sound..

They're in my office at work because I can keep the temp around 19c - 22c here...

I keep mine in the AV space in the TV stand in the lounge-room. I've got a couple of DVR's in there that run constantly and generate quite a bit of heat. I got the idea when I saw my cat going in there constantly and hanging out.

What's your expected lifetime of a slant???? If seen a few references saying a year tops but in practise what's been the experience here and is it the same with all types/styles of yeasts???

What's your expected lifetime of a slant???? If seen a few references saying a year tops but in practise what's been the experience here and is it the same with all types/styles of yeasts???

i think as a general rule of thumb you should re-slant every 6 months to avoid any dramas. you could probably push it to a year without worry, but depending on how you make them, they *might* start to dry out... the yeast will slowly change colour as it deteriorates, will give you an indication.

Latest posts

Back