Putting Beer In Wine Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nine_cases

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going away camping for the weekend and I want (need) to take some homebrew. Problem is space is an issue. Would it work if I decanted my already matured beer into a wine bag (new) to be drunk within 12-18 hours. Or will the beer oxidise or do something weird?

Cheers.

It would work, but would it not be easier to use 2L PET softdrink bottles?

That was my other thought, it's just a space issue in the esky a wine bag I can fit in-between everything else. My local camping store sells wine bladders with screw lids so it won't be to big a drama. Thanks for your help.

As long as you have a fairly flat beer, I assume it would be OK.
Wine doesn't normally have carbonation, so the bags would not be designed to withold pressure as well as a PET bottle.

I wouldn't fill the goon bag up as much as you can because of the pressure as the co2 leaving the beer through aggitation might cause the bag to explode.
At a pure guess 75% should be enough. Just keep an eye on it and if it swells, have a glass.

It is going to be flat though so if you have something which is ok when flat, like a strong belgium or stout, go for it but if the fizz is important then it will be crap.

You have to ask your self, whats more important on a camping trip, some useless tent or sleeping bag or an abundant supply of good beer, served from a quality vessel. I think we all know the answer to this :kooi:

Great idea 9 cases!!!

There's festivals, rock concerts - it's not just good for camping!

A litre of whisky and some ice in one would be nice - what's the capacity?\

InCider.

Capacity of mine is 5 liters. The brand is sea to summit. Comes with a protective denier nylon cover that can be removed.

Capacity of mine is 5 liters. The brand is sea to summit. Comes with a protective denier nylon cover that can be removed.

Good stuff - got some of their gear for hiking that I use weekly. Good stuff. I have 2 and 3l camelbaks that have the mouthpiece for super boozing stealth at concerts etc :)

I wouldn't fill the goon bag up as much as you can because of the pressure as the co2 leaving the beer through aggitation might cause the bag to explode.
At a pure guess 75% should be enough. Just keep an eye on it and if it swells, have a glass.

It is going to be flat though so if you have something which is ok when flat, like a strong belgium or stout, go for it but if the fizz is important then it will be crap.

You have to ask your self, whats more important on a camping trip, some useless tent or sleeping bag or an abundant supply of good beer, served from a quality vessel. I think we all know the answer to this :kooi:

Such wise words as these should not be ignored :super:

whats wrong with bottles and an esky full of ice like every other human being has worked out is a good idea???????

Wine goons are for alcos on the corner........... not for carbonated beer

Tony shakes head...............

In no way am I willing to put perfectly good beer from a perfectly good bottle into a wine bag unless desperate measures are called for Tony, in this case space space is the biggest issue. It is definitely not something I want to make a habit of.

I put a rum and coke into my camelbak once incider, went hiking the week after an all I could taste the entire time was weak rum flavoured water. Not a taste I want to have everytime I'm out bush.

I put a rum and coke into my camelbak once incider, went hiking the week after an all I could taste the entire time was weak rum flavoured water. Not a taste I want to have everytime I'm out bush.

A brother after my own heart 9C! Often when we doing big all-day hikes - especially in summer, we use gatorade powder and water...you'll only forget to empty that out once or twice...mould!!

Ohhhhh **** yeah we want one of those!!

Im a musician who regularly plays out, (drummer specifically) and often at gigs i have been known to wear one of those beer dispensing helmets whilst playing.

That stealth system is heaps more "classy" :blink: - and it holds a shitload more than two cans.

Might pull the trigger and purchase one soon me thinks....

Ohhhhh **** yeah we want one of those!!

Im a musician who regularly plays out, (drummer specifically)

I thought the singer and guitarist were the only musicians in a band? :lol:

I thought the singer and guitarist were the only musicians in a band? :lol:
Q: Why do drummers leave a set of drum sticks on the dashboard of their car? A:So they can park in the handicap zone! :lol: Sorry Nath,couldn't resist, :beer:

I was going to post a Dave Lombardo clip Nath - the apologise for taking the piss about drummers....

So instead of doing that... here is from Motorhead who I will be seeing on friday \m/ :super:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back