Purchased A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 3.5kg and I doubt it'd fit with the reg on the top. I've also heard reports that having the tank in there can lead to leaks but I can't confirm this.

I am thinking of buying one of these on ebay from 'brewbeeronline2' I notice that a search for 'brewbeeronline' shows an ebay account used up until about a month ago where three or four pieces of negative feedback state that the fridges were delivered damaged and now there is some kind of dispute. How are they packaged? Strapped to some kind of skid with thick cardboard box around? (Like a normal domestic refrigerator?)

Seems to me like a substantial saving over the units being sold by home brew stores but a real gamble on the thing turning up in one piece. I also imagine that if I was to purchase one from a sponsor I would run the same risk when it comes to transporting it to my house.

M_D

I'd suggest if it gets delivered damaged, don't sign for it and refuse delivery. I think if you sign for something that's damaged, which should be pretty noticable, then the chances of anything being done about it (especially from evil-bay) are going to be slimmer. Saying that, I'd have full confidence in the sponsors acting quite quickly without any major disputes. E-bay, your always taking a chance there.

I'd suggest if it gets delivered damaged, don't sign for it and refuse delivery. I think if you sign for something that's damaged, which should be pretty noticable, ......

Sure, I wouldnt take delivery if it was noticeable, but that is the real question. Can anyone describe how these are packaged and what the shortfalls are? eg is there sufficient packaging material protecting the corners and spacing the carton away from the flat sides of the unit?

Sure, I wouldnt take delivery if it was noticeable, but that is the real question. Can anyone describe how these are packaged and what the shortfalls are? eg is there sufficient packaging material protecting the corners and spacing the carton away from the flat sides of the unit?

why not contact the seller with your question ;)

With regards to deliveries from ourselves they come boxed on a skid. Plenty of protection, but won't stand a bad forklift operator. I've known them to arrive here with tine holes through the box. Never sign until you've unboxed & checked the goods, as the courier accepts no responsibillity the moment you sign for the goods. Same risk if you give an authority to leave.

Cheers Ross

The corners are well protected, they use those plastic/metal corner covers which go over the foam padding to stop the corners getting knocked. The sides had plenty of room, mine was dented because they put a forklift through the packaging, not much you can do to stop that but any normal kicks hits and what not would have been fine. But this was bought from pinnacle.

The corners are well protected, they use those plastic/metal corner covers which go over the foam padding to stop the corners getting knocked. The sides had plenty of room, mine was dented because they put a forklift through the packaging, not much you can do to stop that but any normal kicks hits and what not would have been fine. But this was bought from pinnacle.

Thanks Claymen, as suspected I got a response on here (albeit regarding a different seller) faster than from the seller. (Still waiting).

Pinnacle say that they are out of stock and wont have any til late January.

I'll post my subsequent steps. Which at this stage might start with a purchase of the eBay one with the $35 insurance fee added.

Cheers

I'll post my subsequent steps. Which at this stage might start with a purchase of the eBay one with the $35 insurance fee added.

Yesterday I bought a second hand one locally from eBay. Turns out I had met the seller at a Beer and Brewer magazine event at the Mean fiddler a few weeks ago. The unit bears the 'KegMate' badge and came from grain and grape. It has been used to chill some kegs but never had the font attached or beer though the beer line. I quickly set it up last night with my ceramic lowenbrau font perched on top. Now to see how to add more taps to the supplied chrome font (it only has one tap that is fed by the thick 'Bevlex 200' line).

(NB I asked Doc to change my username from Doc_D to OzBeer_MD :)

I bought a kegerator off ebay over the last month.
The fridge, regulator, tap, font have all been good. The main problem was that I had to buy new gas and beer lines plus more clamps for them.
Beer line was way too wide for 19 litre kegs. I don't know if 50 litre kegs require a wider beer line, (probably not) but it was just foaming up heaps with the larger line.
Anyway, once I got the slimmer lines and some disconnects, it all pretty much came together well.
I reckon I'd possibly go the other route of buying a slightly smaller bar fridge and modding it, and buying all the other parts seperate. But... It's still really good.

I bought a kegerator off ebay over the last month.
The fridge, regulator, tap, font have all been good. The main problem was that I had to buy new gas and beer lines plus more clamps for them.
Beer line was way too wide for 19 litre kegs. I don't know if 50 litre kegs require a wider beer line, (probably not) but it was just foaming up heaps with the larger line.
Anyway, once I got the slimmer lines and some disconnects, it all pretty much came together well.
I reckon I'd possibly go the other route of buying a slightly smaller bar fridge and modding it, and buying all the other parts seperate. But... It's still really good.

Yeah I think I'll be fitting the 5mm ID line that takes John Guest fittings when my dual tap font arrives.

The size of these things is perfect for three Corny kegs, shame you can't fit four. Modding a small bar fridge would not get you the required volume I reckon. I have gone the other way and replaced a 405 litre fisher and Paykel fridge that I fitted taps to the door of, with this kegerator. (bottled beer now has to go in the kitchen fridge)

Well here's a handy update. The regulator shat itself over the last few days. I lost half a tank of co2 from it leaking. So that brings us back to the fridge, tap, font, being decent.
Not so happy now. Bought a new Tesuco reg, I'm sure that will be a lot better.

There certainly is a big difference between the 'Keg King' and 'Keg Mate' stuff (maybe with the exception of the fridge itself) I have received a new dual tap font setup from 'brebeeronline2' on eBay (Keg King) and the quality is poor compared to the KegMate single tower/font that it replaces. The metal seems to be a quarter of the thickness. The tap handles still had a bunch of black plastic filings from when they are threaded and the rubber gasket looks a lot cheaper. kentr, given your experience with the reg, I am glad that I got a Kegmate (The same unit sold by the sponsors of this forum) and didn't go with the eBay option, as mine came with a premium series Micromatic. Another disappointment is the quality of the shank. where the inlet has been braised to the shank, it has been left a bit dirty and rough, looks like it could easily get crappy with exposure to beer. Oh well you get what you pay for is what I am trying to say. When sellers of the more expensive units try to explain the differences, these points need to be taken into account.

I wonder if I can upgrade these generic taps to Perlick in the future?

Cheers,

Bought a new tesuco regulator. Cost $110. Would not purchase a kegerator off ebay now if I had known it was going to be like this.
Modding a Barfridge and buying all the parts from a proper brew shop is the smarter way I think.

Could you put a flooded font on one of these? Obviously you wouldn't be able to have sub-zero glycol pumping around as there is no freezer, but could you just pump cold water around? eg. put a little water reservoir in the fridge with an aquarium pump?

I wonder if I can upgrade these generic taps to Perlick in the future?

Cheers,
[/quote]

You should be able to as the threads on the original shanks are most likely the same. I'm using perlick taps but I did also get new stainless elbow shanks instead of using the ones that came with the font.

You should be able to as the threads on the original shanks are most likely the same. I'm using perlick taps but I did also get new stainless elbow shanks instead of using the ones that came with the font.
might do the same at some stage. These elbow shanks look like a disaster waiting to happen. Thanks for the good news!

Could you put a flooded font on one of these? Obviously you wouldn't be able to have sub-zero glycol pumping around as there is no freezer, but could you just pump cold water around? eg. put a little water reservoir in the fridge with an aquarium pump?

from my understanding, you could not easily flood the existing post. It attaches via a flange with screws to the to of the fridge and has a removable post top. Other fonts could be attached but would likeley protrude into the fridge, costing you a keg space.

from my understanding, you could not easily flood the existing post. It attaches via a flange with screws to the to of the fridge and has a removable post top. Other fonts could be attached but would likeley protrude into the fridge, costing you a keg space.

Yeah I've already got one and you definitely can't flood the font that comes with it. Pinnacle wholesalers have a cheap Dorado flooded font for sale through and I was considering something like that to avoid the initial frothing when pouring the first beer of a session.

Aside from losing keg space, do you think it would work - just pumping 4 degrees water from the fridge through the font?

do you think it would work - just pumping 4 degrees water from the fridge through the font?

I imagine that it would have an effect, but you have to weigh up the return versus the cost/effort. I am upgrading the insulation in font to include some thick black trunking around the beer lines. You'll probably always get a bit more froth on the first beer of the day but with good insulation that shouldnt be a big problem after the first beer.

Out of curiosity, do you have your keg system balanced? I am in the process of balancing mine. I have 2.5M of 5mm ID flexmaster II on each tap and at the pressure that I used to use in my old converted fridge (about 9-10 PSI or 62-69 kPa) the pour is a bit too slow, the beer is not 'solid' or the full diameter of the tap as it leaves the tap. I am putting any foam issues down to a combination of that and the temperature of the font at the moment. I need to either shorten the line or increase the pressure.

Cheers

EDIT: I Did see a post on here somewhere; someone had put a computerfan inside the bottom of the fridge and blew cold air up a flexible electrical conduit to the font. They used a party baloon with the end cut off as a manifold between the fan and the conduit. That might be easier than messing with pumps and water.

I imagine that it would have an effect, but you have to weigh up the return versus the cost/effort. I am upgrading the insulation in font to include some thick black trunking around the beer lines. You'll probably always get a bit more froth on the first beer of the day but with good insulation that shouldnt be a big problem after the first beer.

Out of curiosity, do you have your keg system balanced? I am in the process of balancing mine. I have 2.5M of 5mm ID flexmaster II on each tap and at the pressure that I used to use in my old converted fridge (about 9-10 PSI or 62-69 kPa) the pour is a bit too slow, the beer is not 'solid' or the full diameter of the tap as it leaves the tap. I am putting any foam issues down to a combination of that and the temperature of the font at the moment. I need to either shorten the line or increase the pressure.

Cheers

EDIT: I Did see a post on here somewhere; someone had put a computerfan inside the bottom of the fridge and blew cold air up a flexible electrical conduit to the font. They used a party baloon with the end cut off as a manifold between the fan and the conduit. That might be easier than messing with pumps and water.

I'm pretty sure I have 1.1m of 5mm line on the taps, serving pressure of about 90 kPa (although I do sometimes use the flow restrictors to slow it down a tad), fridge temp of 4 degrees. Seems to pour nicely after the first 1/2 - 3/4 pint.

BTW, I do actually have a computer fan blowing air into the font. I use reticulation poly-pipe to get the air up about 3/4 of the way up the font. It works, I guess, but it's reeeeally slow. I leave it on all the time because it takes so long to cool everything down - and it doesn't really cool the actual tap down much at all - I still get heaps of foam on the first pour. This is a pain because a lot of the time I just have a single beer after work.

I thought a flooded font might cool all the important bits down more efficiently, including the taps...

Back