Pump outlet valve orientation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopkins

Reaction score
I am about to start building my 3 vessel system utilising 2 x techniice coolers (MLT and HLT), 1 x 40L crown urn and 1 pump.

I am setting up the pump and would like to know if anybody has experiences or opinions regarding the best orientation (horizontal or vertical) of the output valve.

I suspect it could just be an issue of I mount the pump in the brew rig, but maybe there are some pros/cons between these two options that I haven't thought about.

Opinions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Vertical

gallery_35264_1277_35833.jpg

Horizontal

gallery_35264_1277_806.jpg

If you have the room I'd go vertical as it's one less 90 degree bend to reduce your flow rate. But it's not too critical.

The suction pipework is much more important. You want to minimize the distance and flow restrictions between the kettle and pump suction.

You can turn the head so you don't need the elbow

Have you got the ball valve on the pump inlet in the pixes? Should put it on the pump outlet.

Actually, I also have a ball valve on the outlet of my kettle so I effectively also have a ball valve on my pump's inlet. In any case, you often want to throttle the output from a pump and need to have a valve on the outlet to do this.

Whatever orientation you choose, best to to make it so that when you let fluid flow into the pump, it naturally fills up the pump chamber before the outlet so you don't get any air-pockets in there.

With the center inlet it can be a good idea to mount the motor vertical, so that everything drains out properly, it also helps with priming the pump.

It is also a good idea to mount the valve separate from the pump so it does not put load on the outlet nipple of pump housing, lots of people have experienced broken pump housings.

fraser_john said:
It is also a good idea to mount the valve separate from the pump so it does not put load on the outlet nipple of pump housing, lots of people have experienced broken pump housings.
Completely agree with this. The polysulphone heads are strong but will crack if given enough force. Mounting vertically also minimises the chance for air to get trapped in the cavities between the elbow and valve.

fraser_john said:
With the center inlet it can be a good idea to mount the motor vertical, so that everything drains out properly, it also helps with priming the pump.
By "mount the motor vertical", do you mean something like this? Not sure whether this would help or hinder priming.

pump-vertical.png

If you just meant having the outlet vertical, then disregard, nothing to see here.

fraser_john said:
I can attest to that - I had a ball valve on my pump and ended up breaking the outlet off. It kept getting loose, so I kept tightening it... luckily replacement heads are available from keg king and I'm vaguely local to them.

Anyone heard more about the stainless heads Kee was looking into?

mofox1 said:
By "mount the motor vertical", do you mean something like this? Not sure whether this would help or hinder priming.

attachicon.gif
pump-vertical.png

If you just meant having the outlet vertical, then disregard, nothing to see here.

I can attest to that - I had a ball valve on my pump and ended up breaking the outlet off. It kept getting loose, so I kept tightening it... luckily replacement heads are available from keg king and I'm vaguely local to them.

Anyone heard more about the stainless heads Kee was looking into?
Yes, mounting motor like that, if it is below/at the level of outlet of your mashtun/kettle/whatever, it does help priming, but definitely helps draining after a brew day. You don't want liquid left in the pump housing when done. I have a three way ball valve below my inlet and crack that half way, it drains the line from the mashtun and from the pump at the same time.

fraser_john said:
Yes, mounting motor like that, if it is below/at the level of outlet of your mashtun/kettle/whatever, it does help priming, but definitely helps draining after a brew day. You don't want liquid left in the pump housing when done. I have a three way ball valve below my inlet and crack that half way, it drains the line from the mashtun and from the pump at the same time.
Cheers - will keep it in mind.

The brewery, while currently functional, is still in "build" stage and the pumps are just sitting loose. Haven't yet decided whether to mount them vertical/horizontal or whether they will be down near the bottom of the brew bench or up just under the mash tun.

Mounting them vertically might simplify the work required to fix them to the underside of the bench(top).

I don't have any experience, but I came across this when I was researching for my build (not getting done any time soon :( ).

fraser_john said:
lots of people have experienced broken pump housings.
THIS!!!

Dude, make a housing or something. That set-up you have there is just waiting for a brewday disaster when the outlet nozzle snaps off.

verysupple said:
I don't have any experience, but I came across this when I was researching for my build (not getting done any time soon :( ).
That is an excellent find, coming directly from someone working at March!

Thanks for the tips folks. Definitely decided now to mount the outlet valve "remotely" (but not too far away I guess. Actually on that matter, does the distance between the pump and the outlet valve matter that much?

I'll also look at my frame/sculpture design to hopefully mount the pump vertically as suggested.

The Judge said:
THIS!!!

Dude, make a housing or something. That set-up you have there is just waiting for a brewday disaster when the outlet nozzle snaps off.
Yep - *IF* I ever put a valve on a pump again, there will be an enclosure wall between the pump and the valve (basically a weldless bulkhead, just not requiring the o-rings!).

Until then, I'm happy with putting the valve at the mash tun return... or wherever.

Here is a post from a bloke at March Pumps.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/short-pump-orientation-mounting-tutorial-306814/

It is funny that the pump is recommended to be mounted this way today as back in the days when "you weren't a brewer unless you had a March pump"
I had mine mounted that way and was told by a few on this forum that by mounting it vertical I would not be able to lubricate it correctly.

From the day I turned it on its side and until I sold the brewery it was a pain in the arse to bleed the pump compared to when it was mounted vertical.....trivia but true :lol: :ph34r:

dicko said:
I had mine mounted that way and was told by a few on this forum that by mounting it vertical I would not be able to lubricate it correctly.
Inadequate lubrication is not something I've ever been troubled with on a brew day :ph34r:

dicko said:
From the day I turned it on its side and until I sold the brewery it was a pain in the arse to bleed the pump compared to when it was mounted vertical.....trivia but true :lol: :ph34r:
That's not trivia at all. That's great advice. I'm just about to get a pump and that's very helpful. Cheers!

And I need to add, apart from putting a drop of oil in the hole in the pump housing when I first turned it on its side, I dont remember ever oiling it again.
As far as I know it is still pumping away as it should. :)

Latest posts

Back