Pruning Hop Rhizomes Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsneck

Malty tasking
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have a healthy Perle rhizome.

I would like to divide it up. Is there a good way to do it, or do you just make sure each piece has a few white shoots each?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Hey all.

I have a healthy Perle rhizome.

I would like to divide it up. Is there a good way to do it, or do you just make sure each piece has a few white shoots each?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Generally yes, that it it. Post a pic up and we can show you where to cut it.

QldKev

Here's a pic.

Thanks for the advice!!

21062009576.jpg

If you want the most cuts I would cut it like this:
post_9268_1246871982_thumb.jpg

Otherwise I would just cut it in half and have 2 plants that will be stonger for next season.

The smaller the peices the smaller the harvest for this coming season. So it really depends on what you wish to acheive.

QldKev

Thanks QldKev!

I'm guessing that a nice clean cut is necessary.

Good luck everyone with harvest '10.

just make sure the soil is well drained and don't over water it, to make sure it doesn't rot.

I'm guessing that a nice clean cut is necessary.
My "HomeBrewer's Garden" book says to use a sharp knife, but I've found it a lot it easier to use pruning shears -- like you would use to prune a rose bush, etc.

Cheers.

Bill Velek

In addition to what Bill said, you need sharp secateurs with little sloppiness between the blades, because you can really mangle it if they want to twist around as you cut.

if it is not to late sterilize cutting tool in metho for a few minutes prior to use.

Latest posts

Back