Propogating Hops #2 - Tassie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swizzle

Reaction score
Ahoy

Just following on from the SA thread - wondering if anyone in Tas is doing any propogating/rhizome digging and interested in sharing the love around?

I've had a chat with a hop dealer in Hobart who said he might be able to get a few but is a bit Xsy. Local farmer wasn't too thrilled about me lobbing up with a spade...

Cheers
Swiz

Not much response but I would be interested.

Mac in Hobart

Somewhat OT: my mum lives in Devonport and is interested in growing hops for a friend that runs a herb shop, she heard you need a license, rubbish right? I've been looking into hop growing a bit as my mum has around 10acres that she is willing to devote to hop growing, I might travel over and help with erecting the growing frames.

If there is a shortage of rhizomes, try ebay (can't vouch for the quality, but it's a start).

Ahoy

Just following on from the SA thread - wondering if anyone in Tas is doing any propogating/rhizome digging and interested in sharing the love around?

I've had a chat with a hop dealer in Hobart who said he might be able to get a few but is a bit Xsy. Local farmer wasn't too thrilled about me lobbing up with a spade...

Cheers
Swiz

local farmer must have to prune his hops. they regularly cut out suckers I think. Would local farmer be willing to toss cuttings in your general direction?

see this post for how to grow from branch cuttings as opposed to rhizomes

local farmer must have to prune his hops. they regularly cut out suckers I think. Would local farmer be willing to toss cuttings in your general direction?

see this post for how to grow from branch cuttings as opposed to rhizomes

He sounded a bit touchy about the concept in general - citing potential disease spreading through poor cultural practices, backyarders doing their own thing yadda yadda. There are a few growers in the NE so perhaps others may be more relaxed. Anyway let me know if you come up with something- I live in the NE and could pick up or ???

I have a couple of PoR rhizomes coming North from Hobart this afternoon. Bloke still has 57 more @$25 each.

and there was some commentary about Licencing btw. The bloke selling the rhozomes is Sandy from HopCo. Seemed like a fountain of info - mob 0403 005 248.

and there was some commentary about Licencing btw. The bloke selling the rhozomes is Sandy from HopCo. Seemed like a fountain of info - mob 0403 005 248.

Heard Sandy was out of Rhizomes in July (plenty of previous threads on this). They back on again?

Hopper.

Back