Propagating Hops - South Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pride of Ringwood and a few Cluster are available this year. As the hops are green growing in pots
The little plant you gave me the other day is enjoying the first few days of full sun here in the riverland, its still about 3 or 4 deg overnight, but signs of the sunny summer ahead already.

others who get one of this little chaps from you might be interested to know that the clear CD spindle covers are just the right size for that pot! Instant "glasshouse"
:)

What a brilliant idea! and a very kind gesture too. should there be any come available down the track i'll be up for it.

Update on AHB hop varieties, below is the list of hops I am currently propagating.
A big thank you to Kirem for all his donations.

Cascade
Chinook
Cluster
Columbus
Goldings
Hallertau
Hersbrucker
Mt Hood
Nugget
Perle
Pride of Ringwood
Tardiff de Bourgogne
Tettnang
Victoria
Vienna Gold
Wurtenberger

Are there any varieties that are currently available in Australia that are not on my list?
[Centennial, Williamette?]

With the weather warming up, I am happy to release the POR hops that I have avaialable in pots. In the next couple of weeks I will contact all who have registered interest in receiving hops and arrange delivery. Get a long neck of your finest ready. :D
There is still quite a few POR available so if you are local and would like one, please register your interest.

Wow! That's quite a list ..

redhill brewery have willamette growing .. so it must be available somewhere.
I wonder if you sent them a really nice email explaining how community minded you were being if they'd oblige with some?

Prolly not. However, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I wonder if its worth putting out a "have u got?" message in the rare fruits society newsletter ... I'm a member and the next meeting is in november. What other varieties are worth asking for before I contact them?
Note, however, I tried to get curacao (the real bitter orange) this way and got a big fat blank! So its prolly a long shot, since hops aren't really fruit.
But anyway ... willamette and?? fuggles?

I could try the permaculture and sustainability forums too.

Well what you'd do is approach them with "how about a swap?"

Hi Guys
I just sent a PM to those who have showed interest in a POR plant. If you don't receive a PM or there is anyone else that is still interested in a hop plant, please contact me. Still another 10-20 to give away.

Bump.
POR give aways. Send me a PM if interested.

Picked up my POR plants today, Thanks heaps Jeff. I cant wait to use the first crop, hopefully sometime next year.

Picked up my POR plants today, Thanks heaps Jeff. I cant wait to use the first crop, hopefully sometime next year.

Same here. Happy to have joined the hop collective, thanks to Jeff.

HOPS1.jpgHOPS2.jpgHOPS3.jpg

Any idea what;s causing this damage?

regards

Any idea what;s causing this damage?

It looks a bit like Light Brown Apple Moth damage (as a caterpillar). The damage actually looks a couple of weeks old. Have alook on the growing tips and new young leaves, the leaves may look like they have been folded in half and held with fine silk. If you find this, there will be a very small green caterpillar inside chewing the leaves. As you start to unfold the leaf the grub will move very quickly and fling itself away from the leaf, so keep your eyes open. Otherwise just squeeze the leaf together before it has a chance to get away.
Spray with a gentle insecticide such as Pyrethrum or any other grub spray you would use on your tomatoes. If yo don't find any in the tips, they may have allready passed through your garden and moved on, and you may not need to spray.

It looks a bit like Light Brown Apple Moth damage (as a caterpillar). The damage actually looks a couple of weeks old. Have alook on the growing tips and new young leaves, the leaves may look like they have been folded in half and held with fine silk. If you find this, there will be a very small green caterpillar inside chewing the leaves. As you start to unfold the leaf the grub will move very quickly and fling itself away from the leaf, so keep your eyes open. Otherwise just squeeze the leaf together before it has a chance to get away.
Spray with a gentle insecticide such as Pyrethrum or any other grub spray you would use on your tomatoes. If yo don't find any in the tips, they may have allready passed through your garden and moved on, and you may not need to spray.

Thanks.....I used a general purpose pyrethrum trigger spray so hopefully this will work.

regards

Hi,

Is this idea still going? I would be interested in trying to get hold of a couple of varieties and starting something like this in Melb.

The varieties listed, I already have a few of, but the ones I would be interested in are-

Cascade
Hersbrucker
Nugget
Tardiff de Bourgogne
Tettnang
Victoria

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm keen to propagate and share with others on the forum for no cost (other than postage if required).

Cheers

Hi,

Is this idea still going? I would be interested in trying to get hold of a couple of varieties and starting something like this in Melb.

The varieties listed, I already have a few of, but the ones I would be interested in are-

Cascade
Hersbrucker
Nugget
Tardiff de Bourgogne
Tettnang
Victoria

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm keen to propagate and share with others on the forum for no cost (other than postage if required).

Cheers
Yes, this is still going. The results are here. I am happy to help if distribution will continue in Victoria.

Hi All,

I am desperately trying ot find where I could find hop cuttings in the Sydney area.

If anyone has any leads for me I would be eternally grateful, well at the very least I'd toast to you with the first beer from the batch!

Mant thanks

Hi,

Cheers
Hi,
Would love to try my hand at growing hops. If you have any spare rhizomes will happily purchase some of you mercle. Once i get them going will propagate and continue the sharing with others.

you can try this ebay seller i got my first rhizome from him and he is a AHB member

chinook rhizome

and $12 + postage isn't bad for rhizome's

cheer's matho

Guys
I still have some Victoria and Pride of Ringwood available here, if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back