Propagating Hops - South Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
Hi Guys
As a step on from the Hop Madness thread.
Has anyone in SA not winter pruned their Hop Plants yet.
I have access to a commercial nursery with large glass houses etc in the Adelaide Hills. If any locals are willing to donate their above ground dormant prunings to me, or rhizomes, I will propagate these up in the glasshouse and give away to AHB members (for a long neck) :p .
At this stage, if I receive anything, they will only be for pick up only, as they would be green growing in pots, and not able to post.

I have recently purchased some rhizomes from Gilbrew at a good price, so do not have any prunings of my own that I can offer.

Thanks
Boston

Boston,

what a great offer! Shame I do not have anything to give away....yet!

Hopefully someone will get some stuff to you and you will be able to propagate the crappa out of them so we can all benefit!

If your serious, we might be able to come to an agreement.

My hop nursery is in the Adelaide Hills. Not sure how you will go with dormant bines, but I can probably spare a slice of each rhizome variety.

These are the varieties I have and will be digging up in a few weeks to split up;

Goldings
Cluster
Victoria
Tettnang/Ellass(er) -not sure of the variety
Cascade
Chinook
Perle
Columbus
Precore de Bourgogne
Tardiff de Bourgogne
Mt Hood
Nugget
Wurtenberg(er)

I have swapped for Vienna Gold, Hallertau, Herbruck(er) and maybe a few others. I am looking for willamette, as mine died. these probably won't be big enough to divide this year.

Well our POR and cluster still have sticks above ground ... but I don't think I can beat kirem's offer.
I'd definitely grab some of those varieties for a long neck!

Hey Kirem ... do you have pickies of your hop garden?

Thanks Kirem

I am serious. I am keen to produce as many as possible for distribution to AHB.

Next time you are in the Adelade Hills I could meet up with you to discuss the potential.

Send me a PM and we can work something out.

I work in Viticulture and propagate vines as well. From all my readings Hops seem to be a hardy and vigorous little 'weed', so I am keen to learn as much about propagating and growing Hops as I can.

If anyone else still has Bines let me know and I will propagate them up.

Thanks

I have some cluster/POR/and Hallertau rhizomes that are all still in pots and should be a decent size......happy to offer them up for the chop chop to share as long as I get some back to continue along with (was what i was planning anyway but you're probably better at it than I am). I also just had a little look at my 'dormant collection' of my cuttings from last year and if they come back up there will be some available which i will swap for a beer (token price). I was planning on making a sh*tload of cuttings available this year at $10 each to cover time/pots/effort etc but the plan got knocked on the head when our house went up for sale earlier this year just at the wrong time - instead of being able to raise more mother plants to take clones from, I all of a sudden had to stop my little plan after taking 20 odd cuttings. Not sure how many will come back but we'll see.
Send me a PM Boston, we'll see if you can do anything with my pot-bound friends.. :)

Braufrau, Kirem and domonsura.

PM's sent.

Well our POR and cluster still have sticks above ground ... but I don't think I can beat kirem's offer.
I'd definitely grab some of those varieties for a long neck!

Hey Kirem ... do you have pickies of your hop garden?

I might have some old pics. They are at my parents place in the Hills and as I live in Mildura it is not easy to organise photos.

I plan to meet up with Boston next time in Adelaide and get this rolling.

He has the skills and equipment to make this a goer.

You can count on me for a few SA brewed longies for some hop cuttings.

Great idea and very charitable suggestion.

My POR 'rhizome' is the size of a soccer ball with literally dozens of roots going in every direction, so I'm sure someone who knew what they were doing could grab quite a few rhizomes of it. Your welcome to cut a few of them off. I only took it out of the pot on Sunday. It was a freebie from Wally last year so am happy to Pay it Forward so to speak.

Unfortunately my gardening skills are on par with my handyman skills so it will require someone else to either show me how or give my the Idiots Guide to Rhizome splitting with pictures a must...... :rolleyes:

happy to particpate in the process. Going to dig mine up in the next couple of weeks and have a look at last years cuttings:

Chinook
Cluster
Wurtemburger
Columbus

Im i but with no hops to swap, can arrange some thing i hope...

Hi Guys,

I am in Adelaide and have only recently found this forum (don't know how I missed it) and it has reestablished my passion for brewing. I love the idea of growing hops in the garden and would appreciate it if someone could get me started with a decent rhizome.

I'm into London ales (Fullers, Youngs, etc) so would like to get Goldings or Fuggles. Also like LCPA and James Squire Golden Ale so Chinook might be in order.

I am a keen amateur horticulturalist and am happy to have a go at cultivating from cuttings so I can share-the-love next year.

Please drop me a p/m if you can help :)

Glenn

Forgot to mention: Not looking for freebies (won't say no of course), happy to pay - just not eBay prices!

Just an update on how the propagations are going.
I have managed to receive the following hop varieties from Kirem, Braufrau and Wally.
A couple of others who offered, found their hops too small to divide off once digging, so left them until next season.

Goldings
Cluster
Victoria
Cascade
Chinook
Perle
Columbus
Tardiff de Bourgogne
Mt Hood
Nugget
Wurtenberger
Pride of Ringwood

Only small samples of these varieties have been obtain for propagating, therefore only Pride of Ringwood and a few Cluster are available this year. As the hops are green growing in pots (this year), they can not be posted, must be pick up only.
The POR are starting to push through so I will want to start giving them out soon, before they get too big.
If any one has varieties other than listed above, I would like to obtain a small rhizome portion, a piece a small as 10mm is enough to get this started. If larger portions are available I will divide them down too, it is not too late to divide hops that are in the ground. If anyone needs help on division, I am happy to come around and have a look at your plants.
All of these hops plants will be available to AHB members for the cost of a long neck, this is not for profit and the goal is to have a one stop shop of all varieties to keep the price down.

This is a link to the Hop Plant Register.

So next year I can have some goldings and cascade???

Ooooh! I can't wait!

I am more than willing to give my hop plants a haircut during growing season and donate the cuttings. I cut off the side shoots up to 1m off the ground last year but threw them in the compost.....

I am more than willing to give my hop plants a haircut during growing season and donate the cuttings. I cut off the side shoots up to 1m off the ground last year but threw them in the compost.....

I feel sick! :( ;)

Latest posts

Back