Propagating 2008 Hop Plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Many of us got hop plants going last year and now what.
How do we get new plants from ours to send out to folks who want them.
I have two shoot cuttings that are still green from many weeks ago, but not sure if this is a way to get new plants quickly
I have layered my main bine in the ground with the tip out trying to get it to sprout roots

What is the best way to get new rhizomes off out of our plants???????? :huh:

I have layered my main bine in the ground with the tip out trying to get it to sprout roots

Doing the exact same thing, when the main rhyzome is big enough you can split that also but mine is only 1st year so not sure how big it is yet.

Are you supposed to dig them up when they are finished, or just leave them in the ground for next year?

Are you supposed to dig them up when they are finished, or just leave them in the ground for next year?

AFAIK you can dig them up, some ppl keep them in your crisper.. i'd prefer to keep them in the grouns where they should be. From memory just trim them back to the earth once they have dired off, mound some soil over them and make sure they dont stay too wet over the winderor else they will rot.

Ive still got allot of shoots on mine. Im tempted to run off to bunnings to get some little planters + some good potting mix and see if i can get some node cuttings going but i think its too late in the season for that. I got greedy with my plants whilst they were growing and didnt want to trim them back for some experimentation!

Back