Proof That Hops Are Tough

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt white

Reaction score
I severely pruned all my hop plants a few months ago and chucked all the excess rhizomes into an old water tank (with no lid) with a heap of other garden cuttings. Once it all dried out sufficiently I burnt the whole lot. It all reduced down to what looked like a pile of smouldering ash.

Last week I was about to throw some more of the aforementioned green waste in the said tank only to find a rather healthy looking, vigorous hop plant happily sending out bines inside the bottom of the water tank.

Obviously must have not been too burnt by the whole experience.

Note to self (and all other AHBers): If you cant grow hops......stay well out of the garden!!!!

Gil

PS on the "2009 hop plantations" thread a large number of people seem to be killing their plants with love, then digging them up and repotting and overfertilising and under/overwatering and, and, and.

Its simple: Water them when they are dry, fertilise them sparingly if at all, and STOP LOOKING AT THEM, they will grow.

I severely pruned all my hop plants a few months ago and chucked all the excess rhizomes into an old water tank (with no lid) with a heap of other garden cuttings. Once it all dried out sufficiently I burnt the whole lot. It all reduced down to what looked like a pile of smouldering ash.

Last week I was about to throw some more of the aforementioned green waste in the said tank only to find a rather healthy looking, vigorous hop plant happily sending out bines inside the bottom of the water tank.

Obviously must have not been too burnt by the whole experience.

Note to self (and all other AHBers): If you cant grow hops......stay well out of the garden!!!!

Gil

PS on the "2009 hop plantations" thread a large number of people seem to be killing their plants with love, then digging them up and repotting and overfertilising and under/overwatering and, and, and.

Its simple: Water them when they are dry, fertilise them sparingly if at all, and STOP LOOKING AT THEM, they will grow.
Does that mean the the one the in-laws bloody dog dug apart may just do a JC and rise again ?
I hope so...and i used to like that dog
Ferg

Does that mean the the one the in-laws bloody dog dug apart may just do a JC and rise again ?
I hope so...and i used to like that dog
Ferg

Lets hope so... I have the same problem, only difference is I never liked that dog!! She's always had that evil look in her eye :lol:

Latest posts

Back