Pronounciation of beer and brewing terms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Im sure there are many others like me who started out by reading this and other forums and therefore didnt learn the correct pronounciation of the many brewing and beer related words until they heard someone else pronounce them.

Words like

Wort = Wert. (Always thought it was WART)

Trub = Troob

Hefeweizen = (Ive heard Heffawezzun, Hi-favizun, heffweezun, so which is correct?)

And im sure there are many more that can be added to the list to help us verbally challenged out.

Truman said:
learn the correct pronunciation of the many brewing and beer related words until they heard someone else pronounce them.
There are so many borrowed words the we (quite correctly) use an Anglicised pronunciation for on a daily basis that it continually confuses me that people insist on using the WRONG pronunciation for ridiculously insignificant words (like those under discussion here). I'm not certain I could witness a non-German pronounce trub as "troob" without laughing in their face.

Don't even get me started on "wyrt". Why on Earth does anyone think it imperative to use the Old English pronunciation of the word when the spelling has been modernised (and meaning has been bastardised)?

Hefeweizen - I have always pronounced this "Heff-eh-vizen". I could be very wrong, but I believe Germans DO pronounce "w" with a "V" sound.

Hefeweizen - "heyfa-vitzen"

I agree with bum to some extent though. I mean we wouldn't say "Munchen", we would say "Munich".

But on the other hand, that's because we have our own name for it in English. So by that logic, I think we should either say things correctly in the native language or use the English word for it, in which case it's either "heyfa-vitzen" or "wheat beer", not the bastardised pronunciation "heffa-wizen".

verysupple said:
I agree with bum to some extent though. I mean we wouldn't say "Munchen", we would say "Munich".

But on the other hand, that's because we have our own name for it in English. So by that logic, I think we should either say things correctly in the native language or use the English word for it, in which case it's either "heyfa-vitzen" or "wheat beer", not the bastardised pronunciation "heffa-wizen" or "heyfa-vitzen".
FTFY

(take it with a grain of salt, please, I really don't care how you actually pronounce it, just fixing up your logic)

In Nu Zillund we hav dee bee. Not too meny drink vee bee ova hear

How do you pronounce...

"I couldnt think of anything better to start a yet another thread about"????

GrumpyPaul said:
How do you pronounce...

"I couldnt think of anything better to start a yet another thread about"????
Thats easy its pronounced .."Your a dickhead"

Whenever people speaking English use a French word to add "chique" to their subject I like to pronounce the word back to them vocalising all the silent consonents.

It's a pie with a high stack of mashed potato on it and tom sauce elegantly dripped around the plate, for $18 ... it's a gor-met pie, you wanker.

gallery_23372_926_21945.gif

WarmBeer said:
*That's
*it's
*You're

And you're missing a comma after "easy"

I live to serve ;)
No mention of the malformed and incorrectly used elide?

For shame!

Latest posts

Back