Promash Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear as stout Jayse or at least a brown porter.
Thanks for that mate, I am glad JasonY brought this up as I would have been bumbling through and scratching my head (and other parts ) with every brew.
I'll now go and re write all my recipes. :rolleyes:
Cheers

One way to check all this is to set the batch size at 20litres and 75% effiency and you see it gives you the same gravity for 20 litres as it would if you do a manual calc for 20litres ie it does not adjust it to include your losses
ie.
promash set like this gives you for 5 kg of 317hwe malt at 75% = 59 same as if you do the manual calculation so it does not work anything out for the extra loses.
You have to include any loses into your batch size.
I know this is getting hard to keyboard what i mean i guess but does everyone get the idea.
batch size is final end of boil size it does not have anything that automatically adjusts for your loses you program into the water needed calculator.

anyway happy brewing dicko and hopefully this will now make your fine tuning much easier.
Cheers Jayse, drinking stout and typing clear as stout.

Jayse i ben doing your way for the last two brews and have hit my gravity and volume but alowing 24 litres so i loose 3 litres in trub so i have i then finished with 21 litres for a 90 min boil and it works well in the last two brews as i know the amount of water i need by trial and error i did use the water needed calc and it was to far out like i had an extra 5 litres so it is hard for me to measure but i find it easy to to do me batch size to inlucde what i loose in trub be good when i get a refractometer so i think it has a lot to do witht he setup of your system and losses ect but for my i do the total baych sizes to around 21 litres then use the pre boil on the recipe to let me know how much wort i shout have in the kettle

Jazman,
If you finish your boil at 24litres than that is what your batch size should be set to.
I think you posted there that you finish at 24litres and have batch size set at 21 litres which is what you collect.
The calcs are done for the total size of the wort after the boil.
it makes sense as when you look at it says this much malt gives you this gravity and this much hops gives you this bitterness in this much wort.
Not in this much wort plus whatever the loses are for whatever the system loses maybe.

So you look at batch size at thats that all calcs are for that amount not for that amount plus loses.

Jayse

naghhhhh i taske acount for losess i loose 3 litres in the kettle so i allow for 24 litres in the kettle at flame so i loos 3 litres and finish with 21 litres thorught the cfc in the fermentor

Latest posts

Back