Product recall - M.C.H. Australia Pty Ltd—Double Ring Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Came across this today. I don't own one but I'm sure a few people on here might...

PRA number: 2014/14368
Date published: 9th October 2014

Product information

Product description
LPG Double Ring Burner sold with high pressure regulator

Identifying features
RB30

What are the defects?
If the high pressure regulators are used at their maximum setting, the gas may extinguish the flame.

What are the hazards?
If unburnt gas is released this may pose a fire hazard.

Where the product was sold
  • Nationally
Traders who sold this product
Various home brew stores and brewing clubs

Supplier
M.C.H. Australia Pty Ltd

What should consumers do?
Consumers should cease using the product, and contact M.C.H. Australia Pty Ltd on 03 9011 1698 to receive a refund or replacement product.

http://m.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1064163

So, there can be a recall on their burners, What about their elements?

Shit. Was gonna brew tonight.

Can't imagine running this thing on full throttle though. It's freaking powerful.

Hang on, it says double ring, mine is what the yanks call a banjo burner. Same thing?

TBH, I'd keep using it
Just don't crank it out all the way
my 3 ring with an adjustable reg blows out the flame if I crank it all the way, I just keep it at just before the flames start to lift off

I also assume that it's the banjo burner.

I'm not going to stop using mine. They're great, but as above, I reckon you'd have to be a bit of a goose to try and run it at full power.

Bit of a shame that they're being recalled though.

I brew outside, and I find that I've got to turn it down a bit when it's really windy.

When it's not windy, I find that I get optimum heating at about 4 PSI (which is 1/15th of what my reg can deliver). More than that and I go through heaps of gas, the flame goes everywhere and it actually seems to heat slower. The other side of the brick wall that I brew up against gets hot.

The optimum PSI might be related to the distance between the burner and the base of the pot (also the amount of exhaust possible).

Interested to hear what other people have found to be the optimum PSI.

Hey Guys,

Yes it's Kee here from KK. We have several burners where the high pressure regulator with the burner is not suitable for use with that burner.

The burner is a high pressure burner which will burn efficiently up to 210kpa however the regulator can be regulated up to about 300kpa. Although it's unlikely that customers would be silly enough to wind the gas pressure on to the full clockwise setting so the knob on the regulator bottoms out, the Australian regulations stipulate that this is not allowed as it gives the customer too much control. To err on the side of caution we have decided to issue a voluntary recall for this combination of burner and regulator.

We have a new model that is coming into stock in about 2 month from now which has a regulator on it that has limited pressure adjustment so you cannot adjust the pressure at the regulator and you will only be able to adjust the pressure from a barrel valve/ball valve which is inline with the regulations.

It is unfortunate that we have to do this but that is simply what the regulations stipulate. It is a bit of a conundrum because many customer who use the fully adjustable regulator prefer using it and personally I much prefer being able to adjust the pressure and the air mix ratio as it enables me to find the most efficient burn but as long as there is this risk of customers using the regulator and burner incorrectly we need to notify customers of this.

When the new model comes into stock you will have to purchase the burner with the fixed pressure regulator and then if you wanted to use a fully adjustable regulator you would have to purchase this as a separate item and swap it over yourself but you would have to be aware of the risks if you do this.

If you have any questions whatsoever I would be happy to talk to any of you about it. Our phone number is 03 9011 1698

Thanks for clarifying Kee. Think I'll just keep using the burner. Nice solid piece of gear for a decent price.

As someone who wants to go electric, is this a good place to ask about the safety of your elements?
Again they look like great value, but I cannot ignore all the reported issues here and elsewhere.

mate there have been numerous alternatives listed to the obviously faulty keg king elements.
I've previously sent emails asking about certification of wired electrical controllers you sell as well. to no answer might i add.

Yeah, you're right, I've been looking at the thread on these and the five star look good. I'm also just down the road from an element manufacturer in Taren Point that was mentioned in the same thread.
Better safe then sorry.

The explanation from Keg King makes perfect sense.

I have a wok burner (referred to as a Rambo burner on here) I bought in Hong Kong and use it with an adjustable HP regulator bought separately. If you crank it up too high it will blow out the flame but you would need to be a complete Muppet to try and operate it at that pressure. A little common sense should be employed if using any adjustable reg.

When I bought the wok burner the gas shop didn’t have a HP reg but pointed out that a lot of the restaurants and street vendors use them connected directly to the gas bottle without any regulator. Now with that method you would need to be really vigilant and keep adjusting the pressure as it dropped in the bottle.

Topher said:
Thanks for clarifying Kee. Think I'll just keep using the burner. Nice solid piece of gear for a decent price.

As someone who wants to go electric, is this a good place to ask about the safety of your elements?
Again they look like great value, but I cannot ignore all the reported issues here and elsewhere.
Was this post hidden then reinstated? I’m sure it wasn’t here when I saw this thread last night, just went from the Keg king reply to barls post which seemed a bit of topic at the time.

nothing has been hidden in this thread to my knowledge. I'm not expecting him to answer as it a question I'm sure he doesnt want to answer.

I've had problems with my burner since I first used it. Never really turned it up to its max but still get a loud pop and the flame goes out every now and then. Been trying to see if the air intake is the cause but adjusting it doesn't seem to work. Still very cautious with this burner and always close by to turn the gas off when it does happen. I'll definitely contact them.

Howdy,

I'm a little behind the ball this week, this re-call just popped up in one of my voice mail messages I missed.

If anyone that purchased one of these off me has concerns please get in contact. After reading this you know as much as I do but I'm sure I'll have a little more info by tomorrow.

To be honest I think you can do just as much if not more damage with a BBQ that you decide not to light for a bit.

Cheers Airgead and Kee for the info.

Latest posts

Back