Problems With First Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irwazza

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Finally got my first home brew finished and put into the keg. I burped the keg several times then set the pressure to 100kpa. Being as impatient as i am (hey its my first brew) i decided to give it a try. When i turned the tap on the beer didn't come out in a steady stream instead it seemed like the keg was empty, lots of air in the beer line.
The beer is at 7 degrees, I have 3m of beer line between the tap and coupler, The tap has an adjustable flow controller to which adjusting did nothing, This is a 50litre X Brand keg.
I have carbonated water at 200kpa to which it poured fine.

Does anyone have any light the shed on this issue? I'm hoping its just a temperature issue or a carbonation level issue.

Cheers
Brenton

100kpa is not enough from what I have read in here.

I was told and it worked.
300 kpa for 24 hrs

I was also told 220-240- for 48 hrs..the guys in the brew shop told me this.

or

pouring pressure for a week...which didn't work for me but others in here swear by it.

keg must be left for 24 hrs prior to gassing to get the beer cold.
beer in keg should be kept at bewteen 2 and 4 dgrs.

I suggest disconnect gas all together. purge it every couple of hours for a day .
get beer cold while doing this.
Then gas at 300kpa for 24 hrs...then turn off gas for a couple hours ...purge ...then slowly upi the gas to pouring pressure.

I am new at this and this is what I have picked up from in here.

dunno about a 50 ltre keg though.
I woudn't think it would matter.

Hey Guys

Finally got my first home brew finished and put into the keg. I burped the keg several times then set the pressure to 100kpa. Being as impatient as i am (hey its my first brew) i decided to give it a try. When i turned the tap on the beer didn't come out in a steady stream instead it seemed like the keg was empty, lots of air in the beer line.
The beer is at 7 degrees, I have 3m of beer line between the tap and coupler, The tap has an adjustable flow controller to which adjusting did nothing, This is a 50litre X Brand keg.
I have carbonated water at 200kpa to which it poured fine.

Does anyone have any light the shed on this issue? I'm hoping its just a temperature issue or a carbonation level issue.

Cheers
Brenton

While I am probably completely off the mark and please don't take offence at what I am about to suggest......
I am assuming that as you operate your tap, you can't hear CO2 bubbling through the beer? If that were the case, the lines might be the wrong way around and you are trying to tap the gas line while injecting CO2 via the beer line.

Cheers

Roller

While I am probably completely off the mark and please don't take offence at what I am about to suggest......
I am assuming that as you operate your tap, you can't hear CO2 bubbling through the beer? If that were the case, the lines might be the wrong way around and you are trying to tap the gas line while injecting CO2 via the beer line.

Cheers

Roller

... I'm also new to kegging but that was my initial thought also. Are you certain you've put the keg back together correctly (correct shanks under posts with O-rings) and connected the disconnects to the correct posts.

Yep, everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I de gassed the beer then put it to serving pressure. I'm currently drinking a glass right now, its well and truely under carbonated (its only been 24 hours) but very drinkable. There also isn't any head, i'm guessing this is because of the lack of CO2, are other people seeing this same thing happen when force carbonating the slow way?

regards
Brenton

it takes at least 7 days to carb at 1 bar, 14 days preferably. If i poured a pint after day 1 I'd expect flat with no head :icon_cheers:

it takes at least 7 days to carb at 1 bar, 14 days preferably. If i poured a pint after day 1 I'd expect flat with no head :icon_cheers:

+1 on this post.
Flat & headless is all that you'll get at this point.
Both these methods have worked well for me in the past.
1. 48hrs @ 240kpa. Pretty good head & nicely carbed after that time. Reduced pressure back to pouring pressure for me @ 70kpa.
2. 7 days @ 100kpa. Pretty good head, nicely carbed after the week. Reduced to serving pressure 70kpa, Better head retention & overall better beer after week 2.

Crusty

Awsome, i plan on having kegs carbonating while i'm still drinking another. Thanks for the help guys =)

+1 on this post.
Flat & headless is all that you'll get at this point.
Both these methods have worked well for me in the past.
1. 48hrs @ 240kpa. Pretty good head & nicely carbed after that time. Reduced pressure back to pouring pressure for me @ 70kpa.
2. 7 days @ 100kpa. Pretty good head, nicely carbed after the week. Reduced to serving pressure 70kpa, Better head retention & overall better beer after week 2.

Crusty
+1 as well.

As with most things beer: patience.

I suggest set it to 100kpa for a week and see how you go. 24hrs is not enough time unless you are going to try the Ross Method or somethindg similar...which I do not reccommend for a first crack at kegging.

Crusty has offered some good advice which is also what I practice and have had good results.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Back