Problems with aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dr K said:
There are very good reasons for pumping up the O2 levels in your wort before pitching but your beer will not fail simply because of lacking.
Monitored pure O2 is the best but failing that pouring from a height (forget HSA its a pre-boil thing and your wort should be cool anyway evn at 35C), or the problematic (cleaning) airstone are far better than nothing.
There are very good reasons for fast chilling your wort before pitching but your beer will not fail simply because of lacking fast chilling.
K
Thanks for the input... I'm sure I read a few books that hot side aeration occurs any point above 25c?

I'm new to all grain brewing and yet to really get the results I want so although I am doubtless doing tonnes of stuff that is unnecessary, I figure I need to eliminate as much room for error as I can until I can get some repeatable beers I like. Once I've cracked it, il start to see if I can simplify a bit.

My recent reading concurs with drK - most critical time for hsa/trans-2-nonenal development is mash/preboil.

My motto with splashing anything hot side is simply 'be careful, not paranoid', whether mash or post boil. I'll see if I can find a reference for mash vs post boil but aerating fermenting/finished beer is a far more likely contributor to stale beer than hsa, especially at hb level.

manticle said:
https://byo.com/hops/item/861-hot-side-aeration--storing-hops-mr-wizard

I'd like to find a more scientific reference but this will do for now.
Good read.. thanks heaps for the link. interesting to note that the "wizard" said that hot side aeration occurs easily during mashing because the temperature is high enough to encourage oxidation of the lipids but low enough to allow some O2 incorporation into the wort - whereas in the boil and close to boil temps it's too hot for any O2 to stick around.

I wonder when it's mostly safe to start cranking O2 in? - Probably a moot point, as you can get more O2 in when a liquid is colder, so why bother when it's warm? - I'm a nerd though, so like to understand what's going on in the background.

Speaking of being a nerd, are there any good journals that carry brewing science that deal with the less than massive breweries (so maybe something may be gleaned that relates to craft and home brewing).

Latest posts

Back