Priming With Invert/candy Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
I've got a batch of Belgian style ale sitting in the fermenter waiting for me to find the time to bottle it, and I've got 700gms or so of invert/candy sugar that I made for the batch in the freezer.

Can I use the same sort of weight of invert/candy to prime the beer when bottling? I do intend on bulk priming, so the sugar would be mixed with a litre or so of water and then the beer racked onto it prior to bottling?

Invert sugar is basically sucrose that's been broken apart into glucose and fructose. I would assume the fermentability would be pretty similar to glucose or sucrose and there should be no problem.

Why bother ? Keep it it simple. Sucrose or dextrose for priming is good enough for most people. Save the Candy Sugar for another Belgian.

Yeah, the water weight of the candi sugar may be a little different which makes the priming amount that little bit harder to predict....

Yeah, the water weight of the candi sugar may be a little different which makes the priming amount that little bit harder to predict....

Ahh, hadn't thought of that one.

The candi is just sitting in the freezer at the moment and I thought why not? But this gives me enough reason not too, don't want under/over carbed bottles.

Thanks.

Back