Priming Sugars?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Bear

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this just about to bottle my 3rd batch a Morgans Saaz Pilsener with a Morgans Caramalt Blend. I have heard alot of people say that priming bottles with different sugars give different flavours eg. cidery taste. Could anyone please give me some advice on what different sugars do/flavor the beer.

Thanks.

I'm pretty new to this just about to bottle my 3rd batch a Morgans Saaz Pilsener with a Morgans Caramalt Blend. I have heard alot of people say that priming bottles with different sugars give different flavours eg. cidery taste. Could anyone please give me some advice on what different sugars do/flavor the beer.

Thanks.

G'Day Bear....ive never heard of anything that is used for priming flavour the beer. I bulk prime and in the past have used malt, dextrose, plain sugar, combinations of both and to be honest the amount is that miniscule in each bottle there is no effect on taste. Maybe the people you have been talking too had a cidery taste to begin with in their beer :ph34r: . I now just use good ole plain white table sugar for priming.
Cheers
Steve

i'm with steve on this, the only thing i'v found that significantly changes the flavour of the beer while priming is honey

-Phill

i'm with steve on this, the only thing i'v found that significantly changes the flavour of the beer while priming is honey

-Phill

ahh yes, sorry, honey does alter the taste when used for priming.

Cheers
Steve

I've tried a few ways, but could never tell the difference. I just use white sugar now, it runs down the funnel into the bottles better and faster.

-Phill

How do you prime with honey Phill?
I am having the mental picture of me looking like Winnie the Poo trying to get honey into a longneck!

How do you prime with honey Phill?
I am having the mental picture of me looking like Winnie the Poo trying to get honey into a longneck!
[/quote]

Dissolve it in your bulk priming water (thats if you bulk prime)....I would imagine if individally priming the bottles you could squirt the honey solution into each bottle with a syringe. I wouldnt know how much per bottle though.
Cheers
Steve

when i prime with honey i only bulk prime like steve said, if you're planning on doing it use an extra 40-50% grams of honey than you normally would for suger

btw, congratulations on 1000 posts steve :)

What about with the Coopers Carbonation Drops?

I have only done a few batches of bottles as I got sick of suger and now just Keg instead.

I'm with Steve and DarkFaerytale, tried em all, only honey produces flavour. Bulk priming is the only way to go for any method then you can use any size bottles or a mixture if you like, you can even bottle into your keg and leave it to carbonate, it's only a bottle. Prime with the same amount of whatever sugar/dexhoney, or if using dried malt about 70% of sugar weight I think (do a search if you need). There are priming calculators available to work out the required amount of priming sugar/malt (do a search).

Back