Priming Ratio Temp Q

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
This has been bugging me, and might be silly.

When factoring temperature into bulk priming for bottling, you calculate carbonation based on serving temperature, right?

Any answer appreciated
Dan

The temperature is based on the temperature of your beer when you bottle it; the calculations assume the beer is saturated with carbon dioxide.

Great.

I worked it out (correctly) a while ago and have been adjusting up or down for the brew (roughly 180g per 20L) and it has been OK and in the ballpark, though on the high side mostly. I want to really control it from now on.

Thanks Adam, I am glad I asked.

If you don't have fully stable temps, it's the temperature of the beer at the end of fermentation, or the temperature of the beer at bottling, or the highest temperature it reached in between the two; whichever is highest. ;) If your temperature at bottling is cooler than it was at the end of fermentation, it would not be any more saturated than it was, as there is no more co2 production; conversley, if the temperature is raised after fermentation, CO2 will come out of solution at the higher temperature.

Thanks Butters, that is helpful for diacetyl rests.

I was wondering what to do when I rack from lagering @ about 2 deg C and it is warming up as I bottle - should I just add a few estimated degrees to the temp? eg calculate on 7 or 8 degrees? It must lose a fair bit in this process.

Or is it an idea to let it warm to a stable ambient temp and go from there - at least for beers getting preferential treatment?

Thanks Butters, that is helpful for diacetyl rests.

I was wondering what to do when I rack from lagering @ about 2 deg C and it is warming up as I bottle - should I just add a few estimated degrees to the temp? eg calculate on 7 or 8 degrees? It must lose a fair bit in this process.

Or is it an idea to let it warm to a stable ambient temp and go from there - at least for beers getting preferential treatment?

imo, use the diacetyl rest temp, as this should have been the maximum temp the beer reached. At this point, it would have hade x vol of CO2 in solution, then when it was chilled, it would not have absorbed any more (OK, a little, but not much, as it was not under pressure. And any absorbtion from the surface would be countered by the loss in racking), so you still work off the x figure.

I've bottled both at ambient, and straight out of cold condition, and in both cases used the max temp in the calculation, with no realy noticable differences (other than what you would expect from less than perfect measuring, anyway)

imo, use the diacetyl rest temp, as this should have been the maximum temp the beer reached. At this point, it would have hade x vol of CO2 in solution, then when it was chilled, it would not have absorbed any more (OK, a little, but not much, as it was not under pressure. And any absorbtion from the surface would be countered by the loss in racking), so you still work off the x figure.

I've bottled both at ambient, and straight out of cold condition, and in both cases used the max temp in the calculation, with no realy noticable differences (other than what you would expect from less than perfect measuring, anyway)

Bizier thanks for asking the question! And Butters, mate, where would us newbies be without your never ending insights and knowledge!

I've been cold conditioning my APA's at 2C to clear them up a bit, then at bottling I'd rack, warm to about 18C and then bulk prime using 18C as the calc temp. Getting sick of waiting for the beer to warm up each time, last bottling I simply warmed it to about 8C (after racking) bulk primed based on a calc temp of 10C (extra 2C's for temp increase during bottling) and the beer was quite under-carbonated. And damn it, now I know why!! Regardless of the bottling temp, I should be using the temp prior to CC'ing. THANKS!
Cheers,
Hosko

Back