Primary And Secondary Fermentation Before Bottling. Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
This brand of kits (Baron), recommends primary AND secondary fermentation before bottling. Why?

http://www.homebrewit.com/Instructions_Barons.pdf

Is this so that your beer doesn't sit on top of the initial yeast deposit after the initial vigorous fermentation?

Does anyone do this - primary AND secondary fermentation before bottling?

This brand of kits (Baron), recommends primary AND secondary fermentation before bottling. Why?

http://www.homebrewit.com/Instructions_Barons.pdf

Is this so that your beer doesn't sit on top of the initial yeast deposit after the initial vigorous fermentation?

It's a confusing terminology. Secondary fermentation as a term is often used as
1) Racking to a second vessel - as per those instructions
2) Bottle conditioning

You will need to do a bit of reading (search for racking) and decide whether you want to rack to a secondary vessel or not. Basically, I think the consenus here is that it is not required unless you want to move the wort off the yeast due to a long fermentation (i.e. lagers) Also some rack onto fruit, fining agents, dry hops etc etc, but that will be covered in your reading on racking.
If doing an ale at 18-20C and not wanting to add anything post mixing your wort with yeast, there really is no reason to use a secondary vessel as per those instructions.
mckenry

I think what document is suggesting is overkill. I only rack to my secondary if it's going to stay in there for a week or so. I also dry hop when I rack. As far as that kit goes I would just bottle straight from the primary. Secondary fermentation will occur in the bottle carbonating the beer.

I just started using a secondary recently, my logic was

-wanted to try dry hopping
-figured I could beef up production a bit ie went from say 4 weeks in primary to maybe 2-3 weeks in primary then the same in secondary, so a new batch every 2-3 weeks but with 6 weeks behind the beer before it goes in the bottle. I read somewhere in the articles section that conditioning in the secondary was more efficient (given the same time) then in the bottle because of the large volume? anyway can't really speak to that yet because i'm still in experimental stage
-just moved to extract and i've just been throwing the hops in whole ie without a bag so there's been a ton of gunk down the bottom - but yeh you could just use the bag and i probably should pick some up

anyway that was just my thinking can't really back it up with any scientific basis or anything. I'm a bit worried about oxidation when i siphoned but i figure if it becomes a problem i'll just start using them as 2x primaries.

In the general application of those two terms yes that's what most everyone does.
Read the info in How To Brew (available online) and it may help you understand what they are talking about and how those two terms are really not helpful anyway.

Back