Pressure rated stainless fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester 1

Reaction score
Everyone has their problems. Mine is serious. I’ve been using old fashioned plastic fermenters without any problems and even successfully made use of the latest homebrew fad, pressure. Pressure is a useful tool, great things can be achieved with just one psi and I was pleasantly surprised the first time I noticed a hint of carbonation during transfer.

So what’s the problem you might ask. I’ve buggered my favourite shoulder and found there’s now a multitude of tasks that I can’t achieve anymore – think about that…… Worst of all, I can’t lift a full fermenter and can’t unscrew the lid. My neighbours are tired of me asking for help and their partners are tired of me sending them home pissed.

I hate plastic and have read too many accounts of PET fermenter catastrophes so the obvious move for me is a stainless steel pressure rated fermenter. I know there’s a host of info available but I don’t have time to sift through and sort out what is relevant and current & also what innovations might be on the horizon.
I also hate gizmos and gimmicks. I like simple, reliable tools that I can trust to do the job. Our American allies are renowned for making good, strong, foolproof gear.
I’m sure that many will agree that it would be nice to buy “Australian Made”, like we did in the old days but I’m not aware of a suitable locally made fermenter and I hope that changes in the very near future.

I’m hoping you experienced people can offer recommendations. My first choice, like many others, would be a Ss Unitank but crikey, the money. I don’t see that I can drink enough cheap beer in the rest of my life to recoup the investment. I get that a steep cone is important so a flat bottomed bucket is of no interest to me. I’m attracted to the Spike Brewing Conical Unitank although I’m not yet serous enough to establish the landed cost. The Spike Flex + is a financially attractive offer.

What are your thoughts?

Everyone has their problems. Mine is serious. I’ve been using old fashioned plastic fermenters without any problems and even successfully made use of the latest homebrew fad, pressure. Pressure is a useful tool, great things can be achieved with just one psi and I was pleasantly surprised the first time I noticed a hint of carbonation during transfer.

So what’s the problem you might ask. I’ve buggered my favourite shoulder and found there’s now a multitude of tasks that I can’t achieve anymore – think about that…… Worst of all, I can’t lift a full fermenter and can’t unscrew the lid. My neighbours are tired of me asking for help and their partners are tired of me sending them home pissed.

I hate plastic and have read too many accounts of PET fermenter catastrophes so the obvious move for me is a stainless steel pressure rated fermenter. I know there’s a host of info available but I don’t have time to sift through and sort out what is relevant and current & also what innovations might be on the horizon.
I also hate gizmos and gimmicks. I like simple, reliable tools that I can trust to do the job. Our American allies are renowned for making good, strong, foolproof gear.
I’m sure that many will agree that it would be nice to buy “Australian Made”, like we did in the old days but I’m not aware of a suitable locally made fermenter and I hope that changes in the very near future.

I’m hoping you experienced people can offer recommendations. My first choice, like many others, would be a Ss Unitank but crikey, the money. I don’t see that I can drink enough cheap beer in the rest of my life to recoup the investment. I get that a steep cone is important so a flat bottomed bucket is of no interest to me. I’m attracted to the Spike Brewing Conical Unitank although I’m not yet serous enough to establish the landed cost. The Spike Flex + is a financially attractive offer.

What are your thoughts?
I know you mentioned you don't like the thought of PET, but do consider the Keg King fermenters. They are rated to 2.4 Bar but are tested to 5. Each one is checked individually and they are made in Springvale, Victoria, Australia.

So supports local, it's safe and they are like $70.

Just food for though. If I had the cash to splash I would go with SS, but I don't so it was a choice made for me (by SWMBO) :D

Ouch!

Cheapest option is a Kegmenter. But with your shoulder you would struggle moving one around.

I have an SS Brewtech conical and run it at 1 psi during cold crash. It is a very good bit of gear. With the CIP ball and a Kegland bucket blaster it is so easy to clean it is ridiculous. The lid clips on and off so all good for you. I have had mine for five years and it will no doubt get handed down to my kids.

For real pressure the spike looks great on paper. Expensive though. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

You might look at Blichman as well: ibrew - 27U.S gal Blichman NPT Conical Fermenter

Also probably worth phoning up CheekyPeak and having a chat. They have access to a bit of stuff.

Good luck.

Ouch!

Cheapest option is a Kegmenter. But with your shoulder you would struggle moving one around.

I have an SS Brewtech conical and run it at 1 psi during cold crash. It is a very good bit of gear. With the CIP ball and a Kegland bucket blaster it is so easy to clean it is ridiculous. The lid clips on and off so all good for you. I have had mine for five years and it will no doubt get handed down to my kids.

For real pressure the spike looks great on paper. Expensive though. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

You might look at Blichman as well: ibrew - 27U.S gal Blichman NPT Conical Fermenter

Also probably worth phoning up CheekyPeak and having a chat. They have access to a bit of stuff.

Good luck.
How good is the bucket blaster. It's the tits.

Also sorry about the shoulder injury OP. No good. Hopefully your neighbours aren't too resistant free beers!! :D

What are your thoughts?
Not sure I fully understand what you are after but it sounds to me like you need a fermenter that you can fill in place and clean in place so don’t need to move it around when full? If so the good news is you can do that with just about anything although pumps make it far easier.

The other requisite is that you want SS and pressure rated. You haven’t mentioned your brew length/ batch size but would fermenting in a keg with pumps to fill and CIP suit your needs?

Not sure I fully understand what you are after but it sounds to me like you need a fermenter that you can fill in place and clean in place so don’t need to move it around when full? If so the good news is you can do that with just about anything although pumps make it far easier.

The other requisite is that you want SS and pressure rated. You haven’t mentioned your brew length/ batch size but would fermenting in a keg with pumps to fill and CIP suit your needs?
Thats actually a really good suggestion. Corny kegs are like $100 each you could ferment in them easy least if you wanted to get a full batch out, split it over two kegs.

Thats actually a really good suggestion. Corny kegs are like $100 each you could ferment in them easy least if you wanted to get a full batch out, split it over two kegs.
I was thinking 50L keg or possibly 20L depending on brew length. $10-$50 second hand.

Have you taken a look at the Fermenter king junior. 19l Plastic with some nice handles on the top. I picked them up as Ive got a knackered back and they are pretty easy to move around and clean. Using C02 to move sanitiser and beer around saves me carrying anything!

Also, with the superb assistance from Kadmium in answering some of my questions regarding spunding and pressures/temps, Im fermenting, carbonating and serving from the same container. Im even making a nice lager.

Thanks again Kadmium

A dolly or two helps also Chester. No more lifting and you can move a full fermenter or keg around the brewery. Combined with a good pump for brewing/cleaning and using CO2 to move beer around I don't lift anything.

Have you taken a look at the Fermenter king junior. 19l Plastic with some nice handles on the top. I picked them up as Ive got a knackered back and they are pretty easy to move around and clean. Using C02 to move sanitiser and beer around saves me carrying anything!

Also, with the superb assistance from Kadmium in answering some of my questions regarding spunding and pressures/temps, Im fermenting, carbonating and serving from the same container. Im even making a nice lager.

Thanks again Kadmium
Haha all good mate. I'm a big fan of pressure fermenting. The little FKJ are a really nice bit of kit

What are your thoughts?
There is an Aussie company in the process of building just what you are looking for
It maybe released I. The next few months
(I’m sworn to secrecy about it though)

I mainly use a fementersaurus G3 (Keg King the ones that don’t explode and are made in oz)
I leave it on the bench, pump the wort in and closed transfer out
No lifting because I also have stuffed shoulders x 2 and a few other stuffed parts (it’s a Bugga to get old) so we have to think smarter not work harder

What is it with bloody shoulders? Been active for 68yrs, and the only injuries were self inflicted, and usually involving a motorbike.
Three months ago I went to bed after a fairly big day but nothing special (renovating) and woke up in agony, unable to move head/neck/shoulders/arms.
Ahaa! "you've annoyed your bursae" says the doc, annoyed it! I'd wring it's effin neck if I could get hold of it, 3 months in and after CT scans, X rays, ultra sounds (no I'm not pregnant) and cortisone jabs, I've got about 30% in my right arm/shoulder and 60% in my left.
"You're doing really well considering your age" says the physio, I managed to remain civil.
This old age retirement thing is most definitely over-rated imho.

I feel for you. I have been through the same thing. Fairly major surgery on each shoulder to fix it, the left in 2012, the right in Feb this year. On my first review with the surgeon after the surgery this year he managed to comment "that was worth doing, because your shoulder was a mess". Yeah, right, I know, I felt it from the inside for I don't know how long.
All good now though.

Thanks for that philrob, yeh surgery was mentioned but rest and physio was the recommendation, what gets me is the apparent randomness of it all, if I'd fallen off the scaffold or lifted something stupidly heavy ( yep learnt that one 2 yrs ago ended up getting a hernia and have been careful since) I could understand it, or overdo it a bit and need a couple of days off then fair call, but a normal day buggerin you for ??? who knows how long before I'm back to good (if at all) "it's doin me head in" as they used to say.
Oh! and I now have shares in Ibuprofen just to get dressed without the wife's help, and for you young uns, dressing and undressing your partner is not quite as much fun when you're in your 60's and 70's, you'll learn. :eek:

My old man tore his rotator cuff reaching for a cup in the cupboard...

There is an Aussie company in the process of building just what you are looking for
It maybe released I. The next few months
(I’m sworn to secrecy about it though)
So was I.:cool:
Ahhh cmon guys, surely we could get some basic details, cone angle (if it has one) tc ports, capacity ish, pressure raring?
Genuine query btw, due to recent events ^ my ability to cart stuff around has become severely limited so am looking at re jigging my brewery.
Would love some of the US stuff SS/Spike and their prices are reasonable but add shipping and I just can't justify it.
I'm currently talking to a couple of Chinese companies but the quality is always going to be a bit of a gamble, and I'd much rather get something from an Aussie company (yeh it's going to be made in China) but at least it will have some quality assurance done (mmm that would depend on who's doing it?)

Latest posts

Back