Pressure Fermenting Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-boy

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, I have searched a heap of the threads and could not find the answer so I wonder if anyone can provide some guidance.

Its my first pressure ferment so I started with a Mangrove Jack - Czech Pilsner tin, 1 x KG of Brew Enhancer #2, 1 x Packet of Saflager W34/70 (+yeast nutrients) and brewed the usual way in my plastic fermenter then transferred to my 23L Corny-Keg. Yeast was pitched at 23c, OG was 1.041. The Corny-Keg has a floating dip-tube and spunding valve set to ~10psi. Placed in the store room 16-18c and put under 10psi pressure.

24hrs later bubbles started, they started slowing after day 3, day 5 very little bubbles. I used my picnic tap to rack some off for a gravity reading and had very high pressure foam so let off the pressure in the keg so I could pour a sample, reading was 1.014 the next day there as very little bubbles again so I waited another day (now day 7 under 10psi) and gravity was again 1.014 but even today (day 10) there are still bubbles; 1 every 7 seconds.

Q; Has this finishes but it is just the residual gas in the wort (as the SG has not changed)?
Should I leave it longer until 0 bubbles or just cold crash and carb?
I would have expected the FG to be lower than 1.014, any thoughts on this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I want to get this dialled in before an all-grain attempt.

Hi J-Boy. Don't worry about the gas coming out of the beer, as long as you have steady gravity readings over three days then it will be finished. The higher than expected gravity will be from the brew enhancer, it will be under 100% fermentable (compared to say using sugar/dextrose)

Hi J-Boy. Don't worry about the gas coming out of the beer, as long as you have steady gravity readings over three days then it will be finished. The higher than expected gravity will be from the brew enhancer, it will be under 100% fermentable (compared to say using sugar/dextrose)
Hi, thanks for the guidance and reassurance, greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back